Contemplating buying an XS 650. Would appreciate some feedback!

Guys,

I have to go to Houston today so won't have time to properly evaluate and answer each nugget of last night's treasure trove from each of you. I will try to respond more appropriately tonight.

But for sure your collective comments have advanced me a couple of light years on the learning curve. But a particular shout-out to Skull. Thanks!

Regards, Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving To All!

VT

Lets start by saying, Welcome to our little slice of the XS650 life.
I don't think anyone answered your question about the carbs. Yes, they can be rebuilt. www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf is a manual on rebuilding them.
And yes there are several options on replacement carbs.
The Mikuni VM series carbs in a 34 or 36 are popular. A lot have found the Kawasaki Ninja EX500 carbs are a good upgrade. There is a thread about them.
Leo

Had a `68 Bonnie in 1969; put 14,000 miles on it in our northern summer! Every Saturday I would tune and tighten.
Single carb 650`s were Thunderbirds, I think; Daytona`s were 2 carb 500`s.
First bike was a `51 500 triumph with a sprung hub; lost a few tappet covers.
I can attest to the odd nature of XS`s seeming gathering in bunches. There`s always another one being advertised that is just a bit different than what you already have so you bring it home and look for space.
Cheers

Howdy folks!

I genuinely appreciate all the enthusiastic, upbeat, friendly, and informative responses.

The asking price for these seems to be all over the map. I guess I'll just have to wait for one to pop up that's both close by AND priced right.

I saw one in Seattle advertised for $1600. Supposedly it was a daily runner. I started thinking about flying up and riding it home. But then I started dividing up the 2100 miles into 500 mile segments. And then 250 mile segments. As I proceeded through the pipe dream I began to remember more vividly just how grueling it was to travel 500 miles on a motorcycle - even though I was a lean, fit teenager.

So I'll just have to be patient and educate myself while I wait. Y'all have given me quite a reading list and I genuinely appreciate it.

Best to all.

Vern

Hi Vern,
even back when I was only 65 I'd have still flown there and did a one-way truck rental to bring the bike back.
Especially a ~30 year old bike that was new to me, despite how nice it looked it could be full of nasty surprises that the PO had neglected to mention, eh?
The XS650 don't have one central main bearing, it's got two of them.
The engine is a pair of 375cc singles splined together in the middle at 360º so balance-wise it's still a big single.
Do a search here on re-phasing. It's great for reducing those 360º vibes but it ain't cheap.
As to which year to buy, older bikes cost more because they are more collectable while newer bikes run better. You choose.

Buy the nicest one you can afford, as that is less money and hassle in the long run. Also take the time to shop, there is always going to be a deal out there somewhere. A parts bike will be a good idea if you are a genuine tinkerer. You can paint, polish, modify, and then just swap it on. I've never vibrated a bolt off one, but having owned both used from 73 to new in 81, I can tell you that you are happy up to around 60, at which point the vibes can become a little annoying. Those soft spongy grips are wonderful, tho. Sprockets can move that mph number closer to 67-70 range, which I found to be plenty for this type of bike. Just like my beloved Moto Guzzis, the XS650 is an addictive beast. The only thing I personally never wanted to do with it was long distance touring. For power I ran dead even with my BIL's Sportster. It has a wide powerband. The all roller and ball bearing engine gave the XS650 a legendary toughness that is well deserved. There are two in my garage at the moment, a trike and a hardtail, I wish I had more. You can easily modify/update/chop/cafe these things. I believe that right now they are 2nd only to Harley on the chop scene, with the Viragos starting to pick up a heavy following as well. The old 750 Honda and Triumph stuff is getting a little cashy to play with. Bang for the buck is a tossup, XS650 VS Virago, because the latter is still cheap to pick up. The XS seems to get up as high as 1500 bucks for good mechanicals or looks, from 1500 to 3000 if it has both. Customs are all over the map on price. A bike that has really been well done by one of those anal nitpicky types would open my wallet further. I'm a fan of the points ignition if that's what it was built with. I ignore the starters, fine if it works out OK and fine if it don't. It's not a hard nor expensive problem to fix and I prefer the kicker anyway. Once, maybe twice on a decent tune. Seriously, jump in...!

I agree with retiredgentleman. I do not notice a lot of shaking like has been reported. At freeway speeds I get a buzz in the feet but not in the hands.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• PA050022.jpg
    PA050022.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 119
Back