Continuous Cam Chain install.

cleoncleon

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
How do I go about even getting that tensioner off of the old chain/crank to begin with? Looks like it has some middle section that is preventing me from even gettin' the chain back on.

Is there some process to break that small middle piece off the chain tensioner arm? If there is, is that middle piece nessesary?

Install seems straight forward, did it on my Honda Twin, I still have my rotor on, so, I should be able to find TDC easily.

Last edited:
How do I go about even getting that tensioner off of the old chain/crank to begin with? Looks like it has some middle section that is preventing me from even gettin' the crank off of the top half.

Is there some process to break that small middle piece off the chain tensioner arm? If there is, is that middle piece nessesary?

Install seems straight forward, did it on my Honda Twin, I still have my rotor on, so, I should be able to find TDC easily.

Your explanation is quite confusing. That's probably why you're not getting any responses. A clearer description and photos will get you some answers.

DLD1

I deffnty could have worded that better... :D

Right here, that middle peice, you can see I tried to sand it down a bit but it'll need some prying. I'm thinking about getting rid of the middle section all together, from what it looks like nothing, including the chain, touches it during operation. That piece seems like overkill for that structure's safety when its already secured by those 4 phillips, when installed.

IMG_3168.jpg

Second, let me hijack my own thread... What do you guy think of this Pushrod Seal? It looks usless almost... Cam in that pack of 7 seals, it doesn't have that small 'lip' around it, as you can see, its smooth...

Is that how some aftermarket seals look? If so i can run it, but im scared to do anything with it, looks like it wont seal right.

IMG_3165.jpg

Last edited:
On my Honda Twins i never used a broken chain, the general consensus on the DTT Commuinty boards was to use a continuous chain, so for my CL360 and 500T I had done just that to change em'. Split the cases, bring the chain around the cranks, and drop her back in, done.

The one chain I did try and rejoin for the Honda 360 exploded in my driveway after run around the block, so, never again... This chain was sold to me continuous, so, I don't see why it would be wise to break it again.

I personally feel safe knowing I have an endless link in there that i didn't mess around with. It seems like easier install, especially with my cases already apart.

But, what do you all think? in both those Hondas, they have about the same mechanism for the tensioner arm that doesn't have a middle piece like that of the 650's, which leads me to think it doesn't really need to be there... If i can delete it, it'll make all my Endless chain shenanigans easy peasyyy.

Back