Convert a 83 to look like an older year?

Wizard of Smiles

Retro Rookie Rider
Reaction score
Is there a way to make the 83' look more like a mid 70's bike? I just need a new tank. rear fender and seat?

Just bought a 83" last weekend , the charging system is shot. I ordred a santor hoping that is the problem.

I wanted a xs650 , but 83's is not my fav year. Prefer the classic UJM looks.

Thanks.

dont just buy parts and hope it fixes the problem, you will waste a lot of money that way.
get a manual at www.biker.net
search here for curly's charging system guide
80's bikes can be made to look like the ones from the 70's. it is just a matter of swapping parts.

I've changed out a few things on my '83 to give it an earlier look. Picked up some Standard parts- larger capacity tank, weighted handlebars, trimmed the seat down and put an aftermarket lucas style tail light on the '83 stock fender. The lucas light is pretty much a direct bolt on to replace the stock license lamp.....have to drill one hole.
Get the manual and check out curlys guide like james suggested, you have a nice platform to work with on that '83. Put your location in your avatar.

'stator' ?

The older fenders won't attach onto newer bikes. the newer lowers lack the bungs that the fender stabilizers attach to.

The older rear has a totally different rear frame loop and the attachments may be different on the frame.

The older bikes have a different style of rim, but I don't know if that matters to you.

Different handlebars too.

Not sure you'd say classic VJM looking at it. It does have a few "standard" bits and pieces. I can say it won't look like this next year. In fact I snapped this shot at work on 7-5 and the pipes have been changed to p-shooters and the bizillion spokes front is a 36 spoke . Another tank is in the process of clean and coating. It goes on and on..... I call this one Hardley Dunyet. When the new(ha 75) tank is painted it will get vinyl name badges and "XS" badges for the side covers. A gel pad added to the seat will flatten the top maybe widen the front some.

Attachments

• 07-05-11_1522.jpg
    07-05-11_1522.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 243
Is there a way to make the 83' look more like a mid 70's bike? I just need a new tank. rear fender and seat?

Just bought a 83" last weekend , the charging system is shot. I ordred a santor hoping that is the problem.

I wanted a xs650 , but 83's is not my fav year. Prefer the classic UJM looks.

Thanks.
I don't think the XS650 would ever look like a UJM. UJM's always have 4 cylinders. What you can do is make it look like a UBM (Universal British Bike). Standard model XS650's look a lot like British bikes already.

I'd get a standard bike instead, you'll spend alot of money reaching something half-assed, been there :)

I would change bars, seat, and wheels, in that order. Just changing the bars to something more normally styled will make it look 100% better.

I bought superbike bars last night.. I love how they look , not sure about how it will feel after an hr. of riding though. I'll look cool though. I so want/need to change the seat, it's in perfect shape, but I am to tall for it. You don't like the spoke wheels? I want to get fatter tires though.

I like the spoke wheels but the older flanged aluminum alloy ones, also the 18" rear instead of the 16". I don't like fatter than stock tires, they throw the handling off.

I'm sure this bike will end up looking like it will look. handle bars, seat, Wheels down the road maybe. NJ1639 jas a bike I like.. I will tweak the bike a lot i'm sure.
Part of me wants to put a modern forn on the front I do like that look a lot.

The older style 'granny panty' Standard rear fender mounts a bit differently than the Specials do, but with a little bit of igenuity anything can happen. One of these days I'll get a decent one.....I like the longer, retro look.

looking now at getting rid of the taillight under the seat , and mounting an after market one where the plate light is now, that adds a brake light combo to the 83 bumper. Also saw a LED setup that uses the brake light as the blinkers too.. really clean up the back. and A deamon head light w/ the blinkers built into the headlight looks kinda cool.

I have a '81 custom and swapped some parts to make it look older. The tank from an older bike will work just need a Tee before the carbs to use both shutoffs. the seat from a 77 will work but you have to remove the latching system and cut a groove near the front if you dont want to modify your frame. the round taillight/plate holder from the early seventies will bolt right in. I have not been able to find spoked rims, so I remove the black paint from the mags (it looks better). On the front end I change the handlebars for a early seventies and lower the forks like 1.5 inches this make the front less springy and visually raise the rear of the bike. Round mirrors also help to make it look older.
for the shorter fender I was thinking in installing a narrow mud flap. This will give the impression of a longer fender and cover the wider tire too. I hope this help, I may post some pictures in my profile.

Back