Converting from drag bars to ape hangars

suthpaw22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
When I got my bike it came with very nice new drag bars and they look pretty good, but.... personally if I wanted my elbows and knees touching when I rode I'd buy a crotch rocket. I found some nice 7/8 15" black powder coated ape hangers on eBay today and bought them.

What all am I looking at doing to converting them over and where do I find what I need? I assume that I may have to get longer cables and all, but I don't know that and don't know where I'd find them.

Well you can always do custom brake lines just like anything else. He'll have to figure out the electrics or relocate them to the bottom of the bars.

Yeah, I'm sure there will have to be some playing with it to get everything right. I was just wondering if anyone on here has done it?

Yep, plenty of people have done it. Just a matter of what controls you're running on the bars. Most of the time, it's on a chopper so all they have is clutch and throttle cables and maybe a brake line to worry about. All the switches and things are either relocated somewhere else or are new custom switches that need to be wired up anyway. What are you running for electrical controls like high and low beam, turn signals, horn, and kill switch?

Thanks Travis. I'm going to be running the throttle, clutch, brake, high/low beam, start and kill switch. Wasn't going to run turn signals and the ignition is mounted with a toggle switch already.

So the start, kill, and high/low beam switches are going to be on the bars? If so, then you're looking at new throttle and clutch cables, brake line, and whatever electrical you have way up there. Should be pretty doable but will probably end up costing a lot more for all of the above than the bars cost.

well a new brake line will cost your anywhere between 15-30 alone. You still have the electrics, throttle line and clutch line. It's going to cost more than $50

Hey man just making sure you had a better idea of what it would cost. Not in anyway trying to deter you from doing what you want to it. Trust me I'm a live and let live kind of guy.

No worries bro. I'm gonna do it, just might take a little longer. I bought the ape hangers from tc bros today on eBay. I need to focus on getting the bike to actuall run before I worry too much about the hangers anyway.

haha I understand entirely. Just making sure that you didn't think I was knocking doing the ape hangers. Because I'm doing big apes on the harley project I have going.

Cyclebrakes.com is an excellent source for custom length hoses and cables. I was very pleased with their products and excellent customer service.

hey, iff you decide to get rid of those drag bars i may be interested in taking them off your hands, if you have any pics send them way. depending on where in VA your at maybe we could hook up . im in the process of building my first xs.

Back