Copper Exhaust Crush Gasket source?

Snikare

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can anyone help find a source for the copper style crush gaskets that would fit the 50mm exhaust port on the xs650?

I'm installing an aftermarket header and need to put gaskets in. The wound fiber gaskets that are stock, just don't work the same. And finding the copper ones is proving very difficult. No sites list parts by size, only by bike model.

Thanks for the help.

Perfect. Thanks for the links. I had ordered through these guys: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/an900.php But even they're washers weren't what I wanted as they are a ring of asbestos wrapped with copper foil.

I think the link that gary sent is for solid copper. I'll order some from them to make sure. I like to use the solid copper washers over anything else.

Thanks again Gary. I did have to call and cancel the other order. It doesn't say it on their Web site, but they too were the asbestos filed gaskets. I called the new place and asked a couple questions that stumped them and now have to wait for the tech guy to call me back...

Strange that these things are so hard to find, and also sized so oddly as to not be standardized...

I get mine from boats.net. An honest to God OEM part.

roy

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 346
Wow. I've called maybe a dozen places now. And each one has had the past number in their system but not stocked them. And to order would mean a huge minimum...
I'm thinking about just cutting my own from flat copper stock.

That's an interesting part though RoyBoy. What's it from?

I gather it's from a boat.. But can you verify that it's a 50mm OD? What's the height/thickness? Is it solid, or a fiber wrapped ring?
Sorry, I want to believe you have found the part I need, but every company I've called and spoken with has been offering some strange variety of what I'm looking for.

You've bought one. Can you offer any better description of what you have?

Thanks

IF you click on the link I referenced in the previous post it will take you to the part in question at the boats.net site. These folks are a great supplier of oem parts for our bikes.

roy

Hi Royboy,
I clicked that link and it sez it's a stock exhaust gasket for at least 50% of Yamaha's engines including the XS650.
What the link don't say is what it's made of.
These days the stock gasket is a hybrid of copper and whatever modern mfrs use instead of asbestos.
Back in the early 1990s when I first removed my XS650's exhaust I went to the Yamastore to get new gaskets & a new cross tube crush sleeve.
They brought me the crush sleeve and gaskets that were all copper with a wiggly cross-section.
I said, no, no, the gaskets I took out were solid copper rings.
They said, they only look solid and these will too when they squash flat on installation, Sir.
So, WTF, I annealed the originals and stuck them back in and kept the new ones for later.

Fred, Here are some photos of the gasket out of it's little baggie. Note that it is comprised of a copper "C" section outer shell and an interior filling of what appears to be a very fine steel(?) wire weave. Under a 10 power glass I could find no evidence of a butt or other type joint in the weave. How'd they do that? In any case this is the exact same gasket that came on my new SR500 in 1978. Had I not really studied the thing this morning I too would have guessed the interior stuffing was asbestos.

The fourth photo is of what Mike's XS, Thumperstuff and many others are selling as a substitute these days. In my experience these are junk, in that once crushed down and subjected to exhaust heat they leak like sieves.

roy

Attachments

• Yamaha OEM Exhaust Gasket 001.jpg
    Yamaha OEM Exhaust Gasket 001.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 387
  • Yamaha OEM Exhaust Gasket 002.jpg
    Yamaha OEM Exhaust Gasket 002.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 338
  • poor substitute 001.jpg
    poor substitute 001.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
- - - it is comprised of a copper "C" section outer shell and an interior filling of what appears to be a very fine steel(?) wire weave. Under a 10 power glass I could find no evidence of a butt or other type joint in the weave. How'd they do that? - - - roy

Hi roy,
my guess is that they drop the formed matrix ring over an L-sectioned copper ring then coin the L's cylindrical leg over to make the copper ring into a U-section around it.

That is a pretty interesting gasket. It looks like a compressed stainless steel wool wrapped up in a formed copper channel. I would think that it would be a better alternative than the gaskets typically sold as the stock gaskets now adays, but I am still hoping to find or make solid washers.

Could you tell us what the OD and ID of the gasket is that you have? Does it have any play inside the exhaust port? Or does it fit tight?

Thanks for the photos Roy.

"Could you tell us what the OD and ID of the gasket is that you have? Does it have any play inside the exhaust port? Or does it fit tight?"

Outside diameter: 50.00mm
Inside diameter: 38.5mm
Thickness: 5.35mm

New gasket fits well in port with no noticeable play, can be extracted from port with two fingers when new. When crushed, (used) it may come out with fingers or at most, the use of a small hooked wire.

Never tried a solid copper gasket but seems to me that if that had been a good answer Yamaha wouldn't have gone to trouble of creating this little beauty which, as Fred pointed out, they used broadly across their entire product line for numerous years.

roy

Last edited:
Back