Cost...bobber vs Cafe vs Brat

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
So I'm finishing up my Brat and I was thinking what should I budget for the next build. If you were budgeting out a bike or have built a bike what did it cost you (not including the price of the bike, paint and tires (bike paint and tires seem to vary widely so I'm thinking..leave this out since everyone will be different).

My brats exceeded my original $500 and is now at $800 with a modded frame (luckily my paint was free).

I'm very interested in what the hard tail and cafe guys are spending to create a nice bike that will turn heads.

how long is a rope?
my bike was free in the end, because I do all my own work and sold parts on the side. I sold the stock wheels from my bike, used the money to buy a parts bike, sold off all the parts from that bike to buy more parts bikes, etc...now I have a bike that is almost making me money.

I think its not so black and white. i mean i put 1500 in my engine alone doing the pma swap, pamco, rephase, all new seals and gaskets. so it can add up quick depending on your path no matter what your end result is. obviously a hard tail is more expensive than a brat kit so that comes into factor as well.

Without having built a cafe or Hard tail I would think that the cafe would be cheaper than a brat (if you mod the brats frame) and the hard tail slightly more expensive. But I could be wrong.

but the cafe parts can add up, rear sets, cafe tail, fairing, etc... I would say that brat would be the cheapest. I used stock frame rails to lower my seat area, no kit needed.
I would say the biggest factor in any build is who is doing the work. the more you do yourself, the cheaper it is going to be.

I built this bike, PMA, rephased, big bore, paint, Every possibe new bearing in the chassis/wheels, new spokes, 21" front, powder and chrome for $2200...

4397167946_568e3fc42a.jpg

Alot of sweat equity though. Build it cheap, or buy it :thumbsup:

With my brat (hopefully finished by mid April), my total would be something around 2k if I add in the paint (free) and tires. Doing 90% of the work yourself saves a bundle. Bike was free.

With my brat (hopefully finished by mid April), my total would be something around 2k if I add in the paint (free) and tires. Doing 90% of the work yourself saves a bundle. Bike was free.

If you have a running engine and your chain isnt rusted to the sprocket (I had to cut it off) then your miles ahead. My bike was 500 bucks and hadnt ran in 5 years , stored in the great outdoors under a tarp leaned up against the wood pile.

These bikes are hard to find these days and mine took me a year and look what I ended up with?..lol.

My engine is the bulk of the cost with the crank running in at 1400 ish or so after the rephase. New pistons, rings, rebore, cam shaft, clutch, trans bearings, 5th gear replacement, all the bolts, gaskets and seals....and so on and so on.

The paint will be another 700-1000.... I think the total will be close to 8k.

I lucked out. I bought one '77xs in fairly good shape (sat 11 years in a barn), no rust except some on the inside of the tank got that running and then my elderly neighbor's son gave me his '80 xs in thanks for me helping his mom out by snowblowing their little driveway for nothing. I had it running in a day, no rust, and sat for 14 years in a garage. Since it was in better shape than the '77 we switched the project to that one. When its finished I'll decide what to do with the '77.

Since the '80 is for the wife and since she's and the stripped xs are so light she'll have the same power to weight ratio as my '08 Raider with my 200#s on it. Its got a 113ci motor producing 97 rear wheel HP. No need to add more power to that little xs...its already a screamer.

I lucked out. I bought one '77xs in fairly good shape (sat 11 years in a barn), no rust except some on the inside of the tank got that running and then my elderly neighbor's son gave me his '80 xs in thanks for me helping his mom out by snowblowing their little driveway for nothing. I had it running in a day, no rust, and sat for 14 years in a garage. Since it was in better shape than the '77 we switched the project to that one. When its finished I'll decide what to do with the '77.

Since the '80 is for the wife and since she's and the stripped xs are so light she'll have the same power to weight ratio as my '08 Raider with a 113ci motor producing 97 rear wheel HP. No need to add more power to that little xs...its already a screamer.

My would turn over if you used the kicker.. thats about it... :laugh:

The PO painted the frame, swingarm, calipers, tank and other paints with green spray paint. The only parts taken from the wreck were, frame, motor, triples, lower fork legs, carbs and speedometer.

Everything else... threw it in the scrap pile. The tank was rusted to crap, the spoke wheels (he threw out the mags which I bought from a salvage yard) were rusted and every bolt had that white fuzz on it.

Best part is, he was looking to trade a 4x4 for it (WHAT??) and when I offered cash he thought I was going to restore it.... ya buddy.. sure thing.

I will drive it by his house when finished though...:D

Restore what? Sounds like there was nothing worth restoring. Chop away.

Personally, I can't see how some people are asking so much for these bikes. Its getting nuts. I paid $200 for my '77 and now people are offering me $800 for it since they can't find bikes, especially one's with a title.

I rode mine to the p.o.'s a week after I got it. Had sat for 17 years exposed to the elements. Mine has added up to about $860 now and it's a head turner.

Restore what? Sounds like there was nothing worth restoring. Chop away.

Personally, I can't see how some people are asking so much for these bikes. Its getting nuts. I paid $200 for my '77 and now people are offering me $800 for it since they can't find bikes, especially one's with a title.

Ya considering they made over 600,000 of them (worldwide) you would think there are a dime a dozen. The key for me also was a titled chassis that was still a registered street bike and not a rebuild, inspection due etc.

In the end though, I dont think I could get even close to 5k for it.. no matter how good it looks etc.. maybe if I keep it for several years and the supply completely dries up?

I know I could get a fortune for it over in Australia though.. :thumbsup:

Back