crab geberal question

Ncbikebabe

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK expect a lot of these random questions from me and if I get to be a pain just tell me. Over the years how many different carbs did the xs650's use and is any better than the other?

OK expect a lot of these random questions from me and if I get to be a pain just tell me. Over the years how many different carbs did the xs650's use and is any better than the other?

Go to the Tech section at top of page. Go down to the Carb section, and click on the first item. Then click on "carbguide". Lots of info there to read.

Also go to www.mikesxs.com and click on "FAQ". Go down the page and you will find info on the different carbs.

Yes the carbs seemed to change every 2 years. BS38 carbs 70 to 79. BS34 carbs 80 to 83. Each type has its cheer leaders.

The Aussie Club site has a lot of good info.

http://www.xs650.org.au/

Click on Tech Menu then Carby evolution, no pics but a good write up describing the differences from year to year and graph similar to 5Twins on the different Needles, needle-jets and jets.

Combined with RG,s links there is any better info

Is that an option? I'll take cheerleaders over crabs or gerbils!

Do you have a bike without carbs, or some not worth saving, or are you just trying to figure out what you have? There are some common non stock swaps as well. The VM series Mikunis for example, and Lectrons are gaining popularity mostly due to Hugh.

well I'll take gerbils for sure.
I hear crabs really suck.:shrug:
and I'm not sure about geberals but they might not be to cool:laugh:
I like my simple BS-34s

I'd pick the carbs I thought most likely to run.
In your case the "black ones" if you have carb intakes for them.
If you want one off dimple the choke rod and put a knob on it to push instead of pull
the choke. I don't think I seen that anyway.

Any year carb is fine if the throttle shafts aren't loose and you do a proper overhaul and then tune them to your exhaust and intake.

Any of the newer linked sets are preferable over the earlier individual units. They're easier to sync and they hold that sync longer. They are also a bit more modern and refined. Starting in '78, the slide needles were spring loaded and this really helped smooth out the response.

Back