Crank Shaft Rebuild

RCmog

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My vintage 1976 XS650 timing marks are way off. I think by beating on the alternator bolt to free the frozen engine during disassembly, I knocked the crank out of alignment and need to have it rebuilt.
About a year ago I saw a video of an older guy that has been rebuilding cranks for years out of his garage. This is the one I'd like to fix my crank. I just need to find him again on YouTube. Can anyone help me locate him.

This might help?
https://www.facebook.com/gary.hoos....UGfEydBzWpSTiYrPdX4qEP2pF5d1jH6JRnC1cksov8wQl

or you might have been thinking of this;
I pretty much doubt that beating on the rotor bolt changed crank timing.
This 76 XS650 sat outside for fifteen years and sat in storage for another twenty years. Back in the day, I use to rebuild the engine every summer.
In addition to the timing problem, the left coil was overheating during the timing process so I ordered new coils. The original Kill Switch is weak, so there is the possibility that the entire problem is electrical. It is also possible that the cam chain is off a notch. I'm still working with the original Points and Condenser setup. I need some scientific minds to help me figure this one out !

I suppose it could need the crank rebuilt, but there are a couple of things to check before teardown. Perhaps the first check should be to verify the timing mark on the rotor is right (or not) by getting a piston to TDC (dial gauge, piston stop, etc) and take a pic of the rotor position relative to the T mark

This XS650 sat outside for fifteen years and was in storage for twenty years. Back in the day used to rebuild the engine every summer.
I used a 3lb hammer to beat the generator bolt clockwise, with a wrench, to free the frozen pistons.
After assembly, while timing, I found that the left coil was overheating so I ordered a set of new coils months ago.
There could be a shortage in the kill switch,(there's a wee bit of play in it). So I'm partially thinking the overall problem could be electrical. But also, there's the possibility that the cam chain may be off a notch. I need some scientific minds to help me figure this one out.

Not done the read up how the crank is built
But I se possibilities that only the rotor or the rotor outgoing pin can be turned.
Can be a non stock alternator and some don't use the woodruff key and so on.

Does the engine turn now ?

Honestly i think it is an exercise in futility discussing timing and doing any work to the motor. Using such a violent method to break the seized engine, (no indication any penitrent was used), there is a good chance the bore, (if it wasn't salvageable before), will be damagd more with the possable/likely broken ring/s when trying to turn the engine over looking for a timing problem that will have to be reset/redone when the engine gets/is rebuilt

Take it to the re-builder before more damage i done

Okay I reread the OP's post..... after rebuilding.
yeah you might have twisted the crank but that tends to throw off obvious signals that it's out of alignment.
Having had this happen, the crank ends wobble like a drunk in the alley.
If you had the jugs off, did you spin the crank, check rod bearings etc.
More likely clew is the LH coil overheating. That points to an issue (LOL) with the points for that coil. a short in a wire mis assembled point set badly worn rub block, very small gap worn out pivots, could even be a badly worn points cam.
Well a few things to look at, sorry If I jumped your shlitz cuz I didn't read, re-read the first post.

Not that it's best practices, but short of breaking the head off the rotor bolt or pulling the threads outta the crank, I don't think the hammer thing inherently "stuffs" the thing (didn't choose to argue). 😇

So RCmog; if the motor rolls over and ya got some compression (blows yer thumb off the spark plug hole some), c'mon back.....;)

Got a 76 i have rebuilt the engine with a new cam chain. I am having trouble with timing, one coil keeps overheating.

Originally the bike at outside for 15 years and another 20 before dissembling the engine. It was seized and i used a BFH and shifter on the crank nut to free the engine. I am concerned the heavy handed disassembly may have twisted the crank in turn causing the timing problem. ???

Maybe i should have read all the posts more diligently

Last edited:
Got a 76 i have rebuilt the engine with a new cam chain. I am having trouble with timing, one coil keeps overheating.

Originally the bike at outside for 15 years and another 20 before dissembling the engine. It was seized and i used a BFH and shifter on the crank nut to free the engine. I am concerned the heavy handed disassembly may have twisted the crank in turn causing the timing problem. ???

Maybe i should have read all the posts more diligently
Thanks ! With persistence, we're going to figure out the problem eventually. Since the timing advance rod had been modified back in the day by being grind down to becoming skinny, there's a possibility that it may have twisted during the impact of hammering on the alternator bolt to free the frozen engine, before removal and disassembly. This engine went through heavy progressive modification back in the day. The bike performed well. It has a racing cam, head work with racing springs, 750 kit, 2" custom headers, modified crank. After 55 mph in 5th, the acceleration was so fast, it was scary.

Iron sharpens iron ! All feedback helps. Since presenting the problem and getting feedback from you guys, I found that the timing advance rod is binding up, and the left spark plug wire has play at the spark plug cap. I'll try to correct those two things in a few days.

Back