Crankcase Paint

74-Chop

Gall pechod maur thu-fod trooy throos buh-chan
Reaction score
Can anyone advise a good Heat proof silver paint to use on the engine block?

Ive seen many ppl do it but not heard what they use,

Im in the UK so i need something decent in this country! Cheers

Ive used smoothrite in the past,but im doing a set at the moment in 2 part,just make sure to get the cases warmed through before you paint them!

I hear people say dont make a blacket of paint as it can cause the engine to overheat,

Call me crazy but the Bike is moving more often than its stould still and then has a constant air flow to help cool the lump down.

My 81 Xs650 had a black engine as Standard! That was defo blancket coated and had no issues at all

I've used Rustoleum cast aluminum engine paint with good results on engine cases, valve covers, etc. You get better results if you bake it after painting. I painted my GPz valve cover and baked it in my BBQ at 350 degrees for 60 minutes. Came out great and so far has been chemical resistant.

Well my Lump is solid you see, Allready built anf has been bead blasted so its completely dirt and oil free

if have a game finding an oven big enough to take my engine unless i dig a hole in the garden and make a fire pit.

lets pretend for 1 minute ive got an Oven big enough to fit tje entire engine in, Isnt that a bad idea to bake the entire engine?

heat will cause the engine to expand so rubber seals and gaskets could start leaking?

or Would i actually be ok to bake the lot?

There are some who have sprayed the engine and then run it to bake the paint. There is a process to it so you may want to Google it.

Back