Cushman

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I seen a 1959 Cushman today that an elderly gentleman had restored. He had fitted the thing with a Vanguard V Twin motor. It was putting out nearly double the HP of a stock Cushman. The scooter looked showroom clean. He started it up and drove off and it sounded a lot like a Harley. Very cool scooter.
jefft

A company in Gardena, Calif. called K-Jack Motors was supposed to be reintroducing the Cushman I had heard.
jefft

I think there may be somewhat of a cult movement around "garden tractor" V-twin powered mini motorcycles. I'm going with the 32 HP direct injection Kawi on mine....

Later Cushman scooters were fitted with the Vanguard V-twin. I am looking for a Cushman scooter right now for a winter restoration project. I want a late '50's Eagle with the single cyclinder engine. Prices are high but don't see any selling for the high prices.

Posted via Mobile

My first "near" motorcyle was an Eagle got it fixed up pretty nice, metallic teal green. It had a tractor style rear tire, it was my "trail bike", then sold it. This was about 1968. I'd guess I kicked that thing over at least a thousand times before I broke down and bought a new spark plug. Exhaust manifold was cracked at the head, I think they all did that.

Looked like this one.

CushmanEagle.jpg

Here's a vanguard engined one.

1959_cushman_eagle_right_1207.jpg

Looks like it's a conversion kit.

http://www.eecushman.com/vanguardconversionkit.php

That Vanguard sounds pretty bad ass I thought. I didn't know they were fitting Cushmans with those. My first memory of a Cushman was when my dad drove in to Okla. City one day and bought one for my big brother. Must have been about 1960 or 61. That thing looked big to me back then.
jefft

Back