custom wheels

just wondering if you just used the sprocket what do you think would be the widest tire you could get on it?

who needs wide tires? not this guy.
i-jPHgbwD-XL.jpg

lol Jamesgs4 I think you are confused with "need" and "want"!

it's always the "wants" that get me into trouble!!

just wondering if you just used the sprocket what do you think would be the widest tire you could get on it?

Well, if you are talking a stock swingarm, then 160mm (and it would be tight) and that would be with a .250 (1/4") offset sprocket

If you are talking custom Hardtail section or wider swing arm you could go to 200mm and that would be with a .750 (3/4") offset

(but you you need to make heavy mods to the side cover)

Thanks

Gary

no I will be fitting a new swingarm. the thing I am wondering (just waiting on all the parts to arrive) is will I have issues fitting a 190 wheel with the stock frame. I know once you widen the frame you can fit the 200mm wheel but I am looking at fitting a new swingarm into the stock frame.

or will I have to put the chain on the outside of the stock frame if I want a 190 wheel on it?

no I will be fitting a new swingarm. the thing I am wondering (just waiting on all the parts to arrive) is will I have issues fitting a 190 wheel with the stock frame. I know once you widen the frame you can fit the 200mm wheel but I am looking at fitting a new swingarm into the stock frame.

or will I have to put the chain on the outside of the stock frame if I want a 190 wheel on it?

I have had customers purchased my kit to be installed on stock frames with modified swingarms, however I dont have any pics and I havent seen exsactly what was required (I CAN tell you none of them ever call me back and said it didnt work)

In looking at the stock frame (I just looked at a 1979 in my garage) it will be really close, the offset of the sprocket you will need is exactly .750 (3/4") Offset, what you may need to do is offset the wheel away (with spacers) from the frame by about .250 (1/4") (not enough to notice or effect the handling) you would also need to adjust the brake set up on the other side (also by 1/4") In other words the rear wheel would be 1/4" off from the center line (still straght)

Looks pretty simple with basic tools

I hope that makes sence....

I cant say for sure until you get the actual swingarm you going to use and tell me the dimentions

Thanks

Gary

Will 1/4" not affect handling? Maybe not on a low speed chopper, but how would it affect a high speed track bike? Any racers want to chime in? My thinking is that 1/4" off to the right will make the bike drift left all the time.

Will 1/4" not affect handling? Maybe not on a low speed chopper, but how would it affect a high speed track bike? Any racers want to chime in? My thinking is that 1/4" off to the right will make the bike drift left all the time.

My understanding is that he is not using this on the track.... just looks

yeh thats true.

thank you gary for checking that for me. I am thinking of using a gsx1400 swingarm as it's about the right size and has the space to mill down to fit the 200mm frame. and it is already setup for the twin shocks on the back, so I won't have to try and cut down the swing-arm like I would if it was a mono-shock.

I would like to avoid having the wheel offset if I can as I am a "spirited" rider and do what this bike to actually ride. but Gary you are right it's not a track bike.

so that's the decision I am wrestling with, do I keep attempting to fit the 190 wheel with the effort and possible issues, or scrap it and go for a 180 or 170??

if I scrap it and go with a smaller wheel I run into the issues of trying to match up the rims to the R1 front end I am fitting.

Back at the front end, the R6 didn't go to modern looking upside down forks until 2006. The forks before that are conventional and fit the xs look. The triples changed offset over the years, the best match to the xs geometry is the 99-02 trees with 40mm offset. Later they went down to 30mm and that leads to a lot of trail if you put them on the xs

yeh thats true.

thank you gary for checking that for me. I am thinking of using a gsx1400 swingarm as it's about the right size and has the space to mill down to fit the 200mm frame. and it is already setup for the twin shocks on the back, so I won't have to try and cut down the swing-arm like I would if it was a mono-shock.

I would like to avoid having the wheel offset if I can as I am a "spirited" rider and do what this bike to actually ride. but Gary you are right it's not a track bike.

so that's the decision I am wrestling with, do I keep attempting to fit the 190 wheel with the effort and possible issues, or scrap it and go for a 180 or 170??

if I scrap it and go with a smaller wheel I run into the issues of trying to match up the rims to the R1 front end I am fitting.

If you are really conserned about keeping the wheel in the center, another way to do that is to off set the Motor by 1/4 in. (you could use 1/4 in spacers in the top and rear motor mounts and do a little grinding on the case at the front and bottom motor mounts) not that hard if you have the motor out (still not that hard with the motor in)

Please make note.... I am not saying that you NEED to do any of this above or below.. You wont know for sure until you mock up your swing arm and rear wheel (you may in fact have enought room where the chain comes close to the frame)

last, as far as running a 170 or 180, I believe they use the same wheel as the 190 or 200 (around 5.5 wide I think) so i am pretty sure you would have the same issues (someone in here might know for sure)

Its not so much 170 /180/190/200mm tires that effect the offset as it is the width of the wheel from outside of sprocket to outside of brake rotor

Thanks

Gary

I am just giving you suggestions and options in the event that you dont have enough room..

yeh thats true.

btw if it where me, I would keep the wheels you have (R6 I think you said) and stick to your original idea. You can with a little effort make them work and make them work well (and end up with a cool bike that wouldnt get lost in the parking lot (because all you need to look for is the croud checkin it out) ....:thumbsup:

Thanks Gary,

all you suggestions have helped me a lot, and I think your right .. I think I will stick to the original plan and image I have in my head and make it work.

yep it will be a unique looking bike that will stick out!

Really appreciate your help Gary,

Back