Cut off exhaust on 81 xs

DustyR

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, just got my first package in from mikes, which included some newer, bigger jets. I bought some of mikes pod filters and put 45 pilot jets in and a 135 main jet in. bike screams now and feels perfect. My question is, I want to cut the exhaust off and run open headers. Has anyone else done this to have any tips?

like i said the bike is an 81, meaning it has the 34 carbs. I'm running pod filters now with no problem, I know these pipes are double walled, etc. but I like the sound of the open headers. Will increasing my main jet to ~145 be enough for this open exhaust or will I need to buy some adjustable needles? Does anyone know if these exhausts slip off or will i have to cut them?

Dustin

the inner pipe is going to rattle if it's cut, you'll need to weld it back to the outer pipe. i drilled a few holes along the inside of the pipes and filled them with weld, grinded them down and you can't even tell.. until the rust forms hah

^ It depends where you cut it. If you just take a sawzall to it before the point where the inner and outer tubes come together, then yes it will rattle. If you just cut the mufflers off like in the first thread I posted, nothing will rattle.

well i cut them off. i'll post up a video sometime tomorrow. i feel like i need to run bigger main jets now, and i'll probably order some next week. Sounds good though, much louder but good.

^ It depends where you cut it. If you just take a sawzall to it before the point where the inner and outer tubes come together, then yes it will rattle. If you just cut the mufflers off like in the first thread I posted, nothing will rattle.

Note also that the holes in the 43mm coupler should be either filled with a weld or covered with the new muffler/reducers or you'll get some exhaust leaking-decel pop.

^ I don't recall that being necessary. The holes are for the outer tubing only.. :shrug:

Or are you saying they still need to be filled even though they don't go all the way through?

^ I don't recall that being necessary. The holes are for the outer tubing only.. :shrug:

Or are you saying they still need to be filled even though they don't go all the way through?

Yeah, even that they don't go all the way through, exhaust can leak in from the muffler if they're not covered or sealed. Personal experience.

Didn't even think of that.. If the muffler covers a hole or three vs sealing after the holes, you have a leak. I guess I thought you'd just clamp it just after the holes or install mufflers using the method pamcopete posted. I don't think it matters anyway since DustyR wants open pipes. Where's that video?

Sorry for the late update fellas. I've been working and meant to upload that video yesterday and it just didnt happen. Anyway like I said, I just took the cutoff wheel to the exhaust and aside from taxing my air compressor I realized I cut it too close to the headers, so it looks like some welds are in my future. Its so loud I cant tell if it rattles or if WV is experiencing an earthquake. :yikes:For now, It's nice just to hear it but god bless its loud. I'm running a 135 main jet and a 45 pilot. Idle screws set out at 2.5 turns and it seems to run OK. after opening up the exhaust I believe I need a larger main. I guess i'll buy a few and see how it turns out.

So here's the video, If you have broadband (who doesnt anymore??) watch it in HD, and turn it up.

On a side note, I'll post some pictures tonight after i cleaned some things up. It's unbelievable what some steel wool and PB blaster can do. My buddy can powder coat, so I bought some matte black powder and we took everything off the bike we could, stuck it to the bench grinder with the wire wheel and slapped the rust right off. I originally wanted to do a flat black bike but after having this flat black PC, it doesnt seem as durable (some of it is ALREADY chipping) :banghead: as his satin finish he has on his triumph, so ill probably go to satin or the v-twin black (eastwood brand PC)

Here's a picture of the headlight bucket and master cylinder (awaiting rebuild kit to be put back together) that we PC'd. Its a shame because I took these pictures before I cleaned it up so it looks like ass (not that it's really looked good yet, but still). The flat black PC is very sensitive to finger oils and such, you can see the varying degrees of black just from touching the headlight housing.
IMG_0061.jpg

Here's a picture of the entire bike after cleaning it up somewhat. I'll get some better pics in the sunlight tomorrow. I did relocate my ignition switch and also drilled two holes in the headlight housing for some toggle switches so I could bypass the factory left hand switch. I'll post a new thread on that one with pictures. Also, the stainless steel brake line from mikes is just hanging until I get my rebuild kit.
But I'm not kidding guys, I still have a MINT seat for you and your honey. This would also make a killer 2UP video game chair:bike:
IMG_0065.jpg

Last but not least, here are her roommates for the time being, A 1971 (i think) Honda CB550Four and a 2005 Triumph Speed Triple.
IMG_0067.jpg

I know u couldn't tell by that angle. I meant by the numbers. As in, I know there's no such thing as a yamaha xs1900. I was just thinking of a cb750. Anyway yeah it snarls.

I know u couldn't tell by that angle. I meant by the numbers. As in, I know there's no such thing as a yamaha xs1900. I was just thinking of a cb750. Anyway yeah it snarls.

I know that now. Figured that out today. Same jugs and all just different bore. It was 3 am when I posted last night and wasn't sure what I'd said.

Anybody know if the baffles from TC Bros are any good?

Back