Cutting off excess brackets - tips ?

David M

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
As part of my street tracker project, I've cut off excess brackets and ground down the welds. Some will be hidden when the bike is reassembled. Some will be exposed for the world to see and I 'd like to have the finished frame look like it never had these brackets. But, when they were originally welded in place, there was so much weld material, that grinding it off without leaving too much behind or grinding into the frame too much is a problem. The real problem brackets are the ones for mounting the stock exhaust on the lower rails. I've left a fair bit of material behind as I figured it's far safer to cut too little than too much.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the excess weld material off and leaving the frame nice & round ?

Use a flap disc or these, I get them from home depot and they work great. Just keep the grinder moving in an arc and you wont make any flat spots. They are for stripping paint but they shape metal gently. You could do it by hand with a file if you prefer the old fashioned way.
josco+brumby.jpg

4 1/2 grinder with flap disks they will actually take the material off faster as well keep it moving and you should have no problems. I actually laid some beads down over some factory pits and voids and the grinded them back down

4 1/2 grinder with flap disks they will actually take the material off faster as well keep it moving and you should have no problems. I actually laid some beads down over some factory pits and voids and the grinded them back down
i did that were the upper part of the down tubes go over the lower tubes. cant even telll.
I've been lookin for those paint remover disks, but all I've found are one that get chucked in a drill, not the grinder kind.:shrug:

Back