Cylinder stud removal

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I may or may not need to remove the stud's. I'm getting ready to split the case's. If they come apart easy, no need to remove stud's. If not, I'm going to heat it in the oven. Then, I will need to remove the stud's so it will fit. Do I dare put vice grip's, or maybe a small pipe wrench on them. What have you guy's done. I know they make a special tool, but I'd rather keep my $35. Thanks.

Even with a big ass stud remover it was a huge chore. I got about 4 out and gave up. It was just a mock up engine and wasn't worth the hassle for me. It's going to be easier to split the cases then remove those studs.:banghead:

If I get the case's split,,,I don't need to worry about the stud's. I just wanted to remove the stud's so the case's would fit in the oven. :D

I just did two motors and studs came out easy. Two nuts locked together a little heat on bottom of stud and they all broke first shot. LOCK TIGHT WHEN YOU PUT THEM BACK
I didn't even use a ratchet i use a closed end wrench thats how easy they came out and three were bent. But if you are heating the bottom end in a oven you need to break cases in two or the heat may damage the crank bearings. Those little suckers can crack with high heat. I got a motor last year that a guy took to powder coater and that heat frooze those bearings tight. Had to replace the crank and powder coater told him it may happen and he did it anyway.

Do you happen to know the correct torque when putting these studs back?

I just did two motors and studs came out easy. Two nuts locked together a little heat on bottom of stud and they all broke first shot. LOCK TIGHT WHEN YOU PUT THEM BACK
I didn't even use a ratchet i use a closed end wrench thats how easy they came out and three were bent. But if you are heating the bottom end in a oven you need to break cases in two or the heat may damage the crank bearings. Those little suckers can crack with high heat. I got a motor last year that a guy took to powder coater and that heat frooze those bearings tight. Had to replace the crank and powder coater told him it may happen and he did it anyway.

so this guy powder coated with the crank in place?? I am going to powder my motor but it is completly disassembled

Back