damn bike keeps fouling plugs

globalmaa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
so i went to take the bike out today and got about 3 blocks from my house and the bike stalled. well the right plug wire cam loose so got the bike started and it was running rough. got home and holy crap the white smoke coming out of the left pipe was brutal. so i swap out the plugs for new ones and low and behold the bike started to idle extremely fast. turnrd the idle down. weird thing is the idle was fine before i changed the plugs. oh yeah no more white smoke just after about 30 minutes of riding the bike started to stall had to run idle back up a bit. i've been advised by a buddy to switch out points for electronic ignition.

Posted via Mobile

Good advise. Retire the stock coils/wires too. You will be glad you did.

So now i'm pretty sure i'm running to rich. the damn plugs are so black. and the new ones after a 20-30 minute ride are black as well. i'm running pod filters with stock exhaust and baffles punched out. the main jets i believe are 1 size larger.

Attachments

• plug1.jpg
    plug1.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 96
  • plug2.jpg
    plug2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 112
  • plug3.jpg
    plug3.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 90
  • plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Well, you're running rich, but you have to confirm that you have set your valves, points, timing, floats, etc. That's step 1.

when we replaced the link in the cam chain the valves and timing were set proper. so i'll turn the mixture in 1/4-1/2 turn

My Iridium plugs looked just like that. I didn't do anything to the bike except change to Autolite 63's and have a nice color now. I think the 63's are a step hotter than BP7ES and much cheaper.

Get your bikes in a proper state of tune and you won't have this problem any more. 10 to 15 rides, my God, I go thousands of miles and my plugs never turn black. They do wear out and need replacing though. Every 3 to 4K I swap them out. They still look fine, nice color and all, they're just done, used up. The center electrode is worn visibly shorter compared to a new plug. You can't tell looking at it by itself, you need to compare it side by side to a brand new one.

The left side of the bike has too much fuel coming from somewhere. The smoke was both unburned fuel and the diluted oil fron the cylinder.

Some possible causes of too much fuel.

Float level too high.

Float has a hole, leaky float. Float fills with fuel, gets heavy and sinks raising level.

Jet vibrated out. I would have never thought this would happen but it has so many times I'm amaized.

Rubber plug missing in BS34.

Later vacuum petcock leaking through diaphragm into manifold.

Rag in carburetor. I'm covering all bases. :^)

The reason I think the idle got high, it was only idleing on one cylinder until the fouled pulg was repalced. Two cylinder engines idle twice as fast with both firing.

Tom Graham

Back