dead than alive cylinder

Downer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hey guys back again im having trouble with my right side cylinder not running. so i take the bike out today about 20 miles stop at a friends house runs fine all the way get to his house turn petcock off let my bike sit for about ten minutes fire it up and its only running on one cylinder go for a bit of a ride its got half the power obvesly but then it all the sudden gets its power back but after a couple massive backfires it feels as if something was clogged and then pushed through ive cleaned my carbs multiple times set floats set air fuel mixture screw done a sync and cam chain valves and points timed it with a light fixed atu ive done pretty much all i can but cant get it to stop quitting on me tell me what you guys think? thanx in advance

p.s. running podfilters and two into two exhaust with baffles

I've had this happen twice. Once it was a flooding float valve leaking because I damaged it with pliers. The other time it was a leaking petcock (leaking to the outside) that was only passing enough gas to run one cylinder. Lucky I didn't catch on fire that time.

I did have a float hanging open on that side cause there was a piece of rubber not letting it close but the last time I cleaned everything out so that is no longer an issue but still having an issue could it be a weak spark? I wanna pamco anyways but i don't wanna just give up on my points set up yet I mean these things have lasted 30 years but maybe that's one of the problems ha

Yes, it could be a weak spark. I had a coil go bad but it measured good. It had a high voltage only short in the secondary. The effect of it felt a lot like running on one cylinder. Might as well get a new coil to try or to have as a spare, if it's not too expensive.

My theory and by all means I may not fully know what I'm talking about is that I'm getting an intermediate spark but between when I'm not getting spark the cylinder is loading up with fuel then when I do get a spark it ignites a large quantity of fuel but probably fouling the plug also with too much gas. Any seconds to this theory?

And what do you mean the effect of it felt like it wasent running on one cylinder? Was it or wasent it I don't understand did it have half the power feeling my bike just has no ball when running on one it sux

If you suspect one of your coils is bad, switch them side to side and see if the problem moves to the other cylinder. That would point to the coil, plug wire, or plug cap. If the problem doesn't switch sides then it could be carb related. You could also swap the condenser leads around. Maybe one of the condensers is crapping out.

Back