Decisions. Decisions

Yup, that's precisely why cutting up a nice old bike that is complete and in decent shape is a shame. Some of these parts are becoming very scarce.

A note on swapping side tins from Standard to Special and vice versa.
The Standard tins will swap to the Special bikes with wiggle room on the top mounting tabs, however, the Special tins aren't a direct swap to the Standard bike as the mounting tabs of the Standard bike are a wee bit wider than the Specials tins upper mounting slots..
It can be done but some of the upper mounting tab on the Standard bike would have to be removed. It's not something that I'd be adverse too, but I'd be more inclined to Standardize a Special than to Specialize a Standard.....lol.

A note on swapping side tins from Standard to Special and vice versa.
The Standard tins will swap to the Special bikes with wiggle room on the top mounting tabs, however, the Special tins aren't a direct swap to the Standard bike as the mounting tabs of the Standard bike are a wee bit wider than the Specials tins upper mounting slots..
It can be done but some of the upper mounting tab on the Standard bike would have to be removed. It's not something that I'd be adverse too, but I'd be more inclined to Standardize a Special than to Specialize a Standard.....lol.

Hi nj1639,
I'd widen the Special side-cover's mounting slots instead of narrowing the Standard frame's mounting tab.
But side-cover swapping is not possible with the later models plastic ones.
All you can do to Standardize a late model Special is to swap in a Standard gas tank.
I don't see the sense in hacking up the frame to change the rear shock angle, eh?

...or you could fasten some Standard tin holders onto the side rails of the Special frame with band-clamps.

Agree fully on Fred's shock angle comment - much too difficult to change with little or no substantive benefit - but of course, I am pretty sure that his frame is a '75 Standard.....

Pete

The first two year models of "specials" utilized a swing seat and metal side covers like the standards. So you could swap seat, side covers, and tank to a standard. If you wanted shocks with the same/similar angle there were extensions that mounted to the swingarm.
I rode a standard with a special seat for one summer and didn't care for it.

...or you could fasten some Standard tin holders onto the side rails of the Special frame with band-clamps.
Agree fully on Fred's shock angle comment - much too difficult to change with little or no substantive benefit - but of course, I am pretty sure that his frame is a '75 Standard.....
Pete
Hi Pete,
which "his" are you talking about?
Check my signature's top line to see what my bike is, eh?
The only Standard I've owned is the '76 I saved from a scrapyard's steel pile.
It's arse end was too damaged to fix so my son hardtailed it.
He poured a young fortune into the project before selling it unfinished at a modest loss
to buy a beater car. Guess he didn't fancy riding his XS650 rig to work all winter.

Hmmmm - I had thought this whole thread was about a '75 Standard and whether or not it should be chopped or brought back to stock. Maybe I missed something along the way.

Back