Diagnostic help needed (oil and valvetrain related?)

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Engine is a 1978 XS650. Top end was redone approx. 700 miles ago to replace a head with broken fins. Everything was bead blasted and reassembled with fresh gaskets and an overbore on the pistons. All work was done from the case up. The head was a "good" head from ebay. The cam was reused.

This engine has been noisy since day one. At first, I thought it was the cam chain and/or valve noise from after the rebuild. Adjusted both at ~100 miles and again at 600 miles. I also re-torqued the head. Timing is spot on. No weird clearances noticed at either valve adjustment. Cam chain needed no adjustment at 600 miles.

Still....the engine sounds noisy, like a valve or valves are out of adjustment. It comes and goes, but I can't relate it to any one thing. I.E., cold oil at start up, warm oil, RPM's, etc. I just know that I've owned enough XS's to know it isn't right.

The screwdriver to the ear trick doesn't narrow anything down. Neither does a mechanics stethoscope. I replaced a couple of the copper crush washers on top pf the head at 600 miles and there was oil on top of the head, so I think I'm getting oil up there.
I didn't notice anything unusal during the valve adjustments. Everything seemed to be getting oil and not dry.

The bike runs (well....RAN) strong with no issues other than the noise. I rode it for ~60 miles the other day and it was fine. Parked it for an hour and on the ride home I noticed it was running rough and didn't seem to want to rev. If I kept it below ~3,000-3,500, it was OK. Beyond that, not smooth and wasn't right.

I suspect an oiling issues has:

A) Caused the cam to wear and I'm no longer getting proper lift, or...
B) It was starting to sieze up. However, heat shouldn't have been a factor and the cylinders are oiled differently than the head, right?

I plan on removing the valve covers, liberallysquirting oil all over the adjusters, valves stems, etc., and see if it seems more quiet. I will then drain the oil and check for debris.
An autopsy is probably in order, but what am I looking for? I really can't seem to trace it to any particular place.

Any other ideas on tracing the oiling? From the oil pump up to the head, how do I determine if that's a part of the problem?

When you say you bead blasted everything, does that include internal parts like the pistons?

Sorry, no. Bead blasted the fins on the cylinders, head and valve cover. Not "everything". Should've been more clear about that. The only reason I mention it is that I'm a little concerned that some media may be in an oil passage or something?

That's what I feel like I'll end up doing.

And to clarify: The noise it makes sounds like a valve out of adjustment. A tapping or ticking, even when all valves are set correctly.

Check to see if your camchain tensioner is missing the damper washer. If missing, the engine will make a ticking noise.It was missing on my bike, so I used an old copper washer from my spare parts box.

Attachments

• Tensioner damper missing.JPG
    Tensioner damper missing.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 47
Pull the rod/spring/adjuster screw assembly out of the housing and have a look .....

CamChainTensioner.jpg

Back