Diameter Of Fork Lowers

STARCROSSEDMOTO

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello.

I am continuing my tribute build, and am looking for the diameter of the fork lowers.

I believe the front end I have is from a '79 standard.

Due to the rim/tire dimensions I am running, the mounting bolts for a fender will not fit. The plan is to shave the fender mounting tabs off both forks and use clamps to hold the new front fender. Got the idea from a CX500 I saw in an article.

So if any of you fine gentlemen can assist me with the diameter of the lowers, it will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20231102_193825.jpg
    20231102_193825.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 40
  • cdd6d381c38088b32f50b1ff15a2d58c.jpg
    cdd6d381c38088b32f50b1ff15a2d58c.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 473af75fd74b0400722ab9b083efeb6f.jpg
    473af75fd74b0400722ab9b083efeb6f.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 39
Hello.

I am continuing my tribute build, and am looking for the diameter of the fork lowers.

I believe the front end I have is from a '79 standard.

Due to the rim/tire dimensions I am running, the mounting bolts for a fender will not fit. The plan is to shave the fender mounting tabs off both forks and use clamps to hold the new front fender. Got the idea from a CX500 I saw in an article.

So if any of you fine gentlemen can assist me with the diameter of the lowers, it will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

First off, the lowers are tapered... what diameter did you want measured, the top, the bottom... somewhere in between?
And... you have a '79 front end. You can't pull your measurement off that?

Tapered? I never realised that, so I measured them. 51 at the top, 48 at the bottom. Of course those sizes vary a bit depending on whether you measure front to back, or side to side, they vary by about .5mm. Not enough to worry fitment of all guard. Mind you some forks have 34mm stanchions, later models have 35, Don't know if the lower sections are different though..

First off, the lowers are tapered... what diameter did you want measured, the top, the bottom... somewhere in between?
And... you have a '79 front end. You can't pull your measurement off that?

I didn't trust to just eyeball it, and I was hoping someone would have a more accurate way of getting the measurement. This is when a caliper comes in handy.

Tapered? I never realised that, so I measured them. 51 at the top, 48 at the bottom. Of course those sizes vary a bit depending on whether you measure front to back, or side to side, they vary by about .5mm. Not enough to worry fitment of all guard. Mind you some forks have 34mm stanchions, later models have 35, Don't know if the lower sections are different though..
48mm. Thank you. That's just what I needed to know.

Back