Did a PO change the cam chain tensioner?

D Stroy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I was adjusting the cam chain yesterday to get rid of a top end noise (which worked) and noticed that my tensioner had the lock nut on it. I have a 79 special and was under the impression that this was one of the yrs/models that have the tensioner version without the locknut. Am I wrong about this or did a previous owner swap out the tensioner with one from another year? Also, would this change how I adjust, would I still want the pin to be flush if the tensioner isn't stock?
Thanks.

It's hard to say. Your year and model is right around the time Yamaha implemented the change to the newer lock nut style assembly. It may have come from the factory that way. Don't go by the plunger being flush no matter what style the tensioner is. Instead, make sure the plunger moves a little (1 to 2mm) in and out at idle. That's the safest, most fool-proof way. No movement of the rod means it's too tight.

Ok, sounds logical, thanks for the quick response. I did make sure to maintain that amount of movement. It is good to know for the future that this movement quality is more important than pin protrusion.

Back