This doesn't look healthy, bits from cam chain tensioner?

IronFist_650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello. Bought this bike a few years back as a chopper project. Had the engine running but never did any closer inspection as i never worked on engines. But maybe i have to start learning now 🤣 was going to do a oil change and found this small black plastic parts and metal fragments on the very worn filter. Could this be from the cam chain tensioner? Also the sump filter was blown. What do you suggest i do? How bad is it?

Attachments

• 20231230_145657.jpg
    20231230_145657.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231230_145626.jpg
    20231230_145626.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 49
Black bits are likely from the cam chain guide. Best to fix it now with new tensioner and cam chain. Had the same situation with one of my bikes. Because the engine has to come out to do this, I took the opportunity to do a whole top end refresh. There are good threads in the Tech section on how to do that. With the sump filter torn, I might also pull the oil pump out to check it.

OK if it was me I would check the filter with a magnet Se it the shiny parts are magnetic
And I would repair the filter ..there are how it is done here on the forum some quite pretty sheet metal work
by fex 5 Twins
Putting some miles on the machine for the evaluation If opening the engine more work is normal to do.
If inexperienced it can be causing more damage than do good replacing the parts inside. Depending current status
Need to take the engine out from the frame have tools and place to do it.
Not impossible ,,but I still feel getting some facts of the machine before tearing out and down Compression smoke
Slipping clutch gear shift rattling ?

I depends on the plan and finances with the extreme points Try to ride and not wrench or the other end wrench not ride.

New Filters is available I have bought parts from Kiel in many years Been pleased with that . Perhaps are cheaper and better out there. I believe much parts is the same as Mikes not all are pleased with
Freight and customs makes it more expensive get to Europe

https://www.xs650shop.de/en/crankcase/931/oil-filter-sump

Black bits are likely from the cam chain guide. Best to fix it now with new tensioner and cam chain. Had the same situation with one of my bikes. Because the engine has to come out to do this, I took the opportunity to do a whole top end refresh. There are good threads in the Tech section on how to do that. With the sump filter torn, I might also pull the oil pump out to check it.
Tanks! Will check the oil pump as well

OK if it was me I would check the filter with a magnet Se it the shiny parts are magnetic
And I would repair the filter ..there are how it is done here on the forum some quite pretty sheet metal work
by fex 5 Twins
Putting some miles on the machine for the evaluation If opening the engine more work is normal to do.
If inexperienced it can be causing more damage than do good replacing the parts inside. Depending current status
Need to take the engine out from the frame have tools and place to do it.
Not impossible ,,but I still feel getting some facts of the machine before tearing out and down Compression smoke
Slipping clutch gear shift rattling ?

I depends on the plan and finances with the extreme points Try to ride and not wrench or the other end wrench not ride.

New Filters is available I have bought parts from Kiel in many years Been pleased with that . Perhaps are cheaper and better out there. I believe much parts is the same as Mikes not all are pleased with
Freight and customs makes it more expensive get to Europe

https://www.xs650shop.de/en/crankcase/931/oil-filter-sump
Thanks! I have new filters. Just don't want to do more damage to the engine. But as i understand this is quit normal. Some of the metal sticks to a magnet But Most of it don't. Yes, i havet also used xs650chop and heidentuning as shipping to Sweden is to expensive from outside EU. I will have the bike running before i tear down the engine. Have never been able to ride it before. But are now in the final prosess of this build

Anything on the Odometer ? If it was your Advance unit that was a bit worn Guessing 35 000 Km ish ??
I would consider a compression test In the near future .. With a little Oil in the cylinders first --- turning it over so there is some lubrication. Please do the readup how it is done Open throttle and so

Anything on the Odometer ? If it was your Advance unit that was a bit worn Guessing 35 000 Km ish ??
I would consider a compression test In the near future .. With a little Oil in the cylinders first --- turning it over so there is some lubrication. Please do the readup how it is done Open throttle and so
Yes, that was my worn advance unit. Ordered a new one. Ok, i will do a compression test. Guess there are "how to" threads in this great forum. Thanks again!

FYI, that sump filter blows out due to over revving the motor before the oil has had a chance to warm up and thin out. To avoid this just be patient and let the motor come up to temp before giving it a go.

This is the new filter after 20 min of running (not riding) Could maybe be from the old oil as i changed it coold?

Attachments

• 20231231_153303.jpg
    20231231_153303.jpg
    620.1 KB · Views: 24
The thing is, most of these didn't get the required maintenance they should have. Oil changes and, more importantly, filter cleanings, weren't done frequently enough. When I got my 1st one, it took a good half dozen oil changes and filter cleanings to flush the built up gunk out, and before the filters started coming out relatively clean.

There's a good chance the small black rubber bits are from the rubber ring attached to the #4 starter gear. When it gets old, it starts to break apart into the little bits you're seeing. Here's a pic of one that's done that .....

#4Gear.jpg

Back