Did I burn up my pamco? How?!

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This looks burned. That's probably what I smelled yesterday. How would this happen? This would explain no spark then?

2ba96caa.jpg

ca7496f0.jpg

0a3d50d3.jpg

So if I add more smoke it should be fine? But how's that saying go? "where there's smoke there's..."

wait?!

Posted via Mobile

It definitely looks crispy.

I'm pretty sure you can buy a new board from Pete to replace this one.
I'm sure he'll be in to pronounce yours dead.

I'm wondering if you have a reglator issue that is producing more then The needed volts to the system?
I once boiled a battery in by old 64 impala because of a bad regulator.

Im hoping this happened yesterday and not today like someone was suggesting. I DID smell something burning. But with my luck Its something else too. How much Would that be? Im hoping to not have to spend another $100. Whats the best way to get ahold of him?

Posted via Mobile

I think they go for about $45.
I could be wrong, it's happened before just ask my wife.

He's on the board under Pamco Pete. He usually makes it into all pamco related threads.

How's it happen? I think the screw on the board was loose. What would that do? The back of the piece that sits in front of the board, had the burn mark too. Can that be caused by vibrating loose? Im just hoping it's only that and not my coil too...

Posted via Mobile

Jawnee21,

Well, that's the protective diode that fried. It's there to protect the Hall effect sensor from high voltage spikes that are usually caused by a bad regulator. If you are out of warranty, a replacement plate and PC board with a two year warranty is $45 plus $6 shipping. You can reuse the rotor. PM me for ordering details or if you are still under warranty.

In the meantime, you could try just cutting the diode out completely to see if it will work while you are waiting for a replacement. If it does work, then just stay close to home until the replacement arrives.

As soon as you get the engine running again, check your battery voltage and look for a high (>15V) condition which could indicate a bad regulator.

Jawnee21,

Well, that's the protective diode that fried. It's there to protect the Hall effect sensor from high voltage spikes that are usually caused by a bad regulator. If you are out of warranty, a replacement plate and PC board with a two year warranty is $45 plus $6 shipping. You can reuse the rotor. PM me for ordering details or if you are still under warranty.

In the meantime, you could try just cutting the diode out completely to see if it will work while you are waiting for a replacement. If it does work, then just stay close to home until the replacement arrives.

As soon as you get the engine running again, check your battery voltage and look for a high (>15V) condition which could indicate a bad regulator.

I'm not sure about warranty. It would only
Apply to original owner/purchaser wouldnt it?
Is there any way this can happen on it's own without having a bad regulator? I'm going to check that today...

Posted via Mobile

Jawknee,

The warranty travels with the unit, but looking at your picture, I think that one is out of warranty unless you can produce a proof of purchase within the last year.

For those of you buying or selling a bike with a PAMCO, pass on your proof of purchase if selling and ask for one if buying. Units bought starting this year have a two year warranty. When selling, mention that you have a PAMCO and if it is still under warranty, that could help sell the bike.

Jawknee,

The warranty travels with the unit, but looking at your picture, I think that one is out of warranty unless you can produce a proof of purchase within the last year.

For those of you buying or selling a bike with a PAMCO, pass on your proof of purchase if selling and ask for one if buying. Units bought starting this year have a two year warranty. When selling, mention that you have a PAMCO and if it is still under warranty, that could help sell the bike.

probably, I bought the bike in feb of this year. the guy before me only had it a few months. who knows when the P-PO put it on...

Back