Did I stuff this up??? Spark Plugs

AussieHard

AussieHardTail
Reaction score
I just want to know if this is normal or I broke it!

Referance photo below
Spark+Plugs_0431.jpg

Question is should that small cover be on the tip of the spark plug or not?
If yes what are the chances of it being stuck up inside my lead cap????

My plug on bike
Spark_0428.jpg

Just screw that cap back onto the plug. It should be there and it shouldn't get stuck in your wire.

What engine is that plug in? It sure is the wrong plug for an XS650. Looks like a lawn mower plug to me. Reach LOOKS like it's about 1/2 what it should be.:shootme:
OK so you are just showing us a loose cap and that IS off your lawn mower. Yes some plugs come with a loose cap.

Top photo is lawn mower plug showing the missing part, bottom photo is my bike with part actually missing.

My question is, is it supposed to be missing?

It depends on what type of plug cap you have. There are 2 kinds, one that fits on that terminal nut, the other that fits on the terminal stud, the threaded portion left behind after removing the nut. Your cap appears to be the terminal nut type so you want that nut threaded on your plug.

NGKLB05.jpg

I prefer the terminal stud type, I think they grip better.

edit - looking at your photo closer, I really can't tell which type of cap you have. The inside of the cap is too dark to see. If it is the terminal stud type, it won't fit on the nut. If it is the nut type, it would be very loose on the stud.

Nope, plug wire and plug cap type have no relation to one another. You can put any cap on any wire. Look for an I.D. # on the cap if it's NGK and compare to the chart above. # ending in "E" or "F"?

Nope, plug wire and plug cap type have no relation to one another. You can put any cap on any wire. Look for an I.D. # on the cap if it's NGK and compare to the chart above. # ending in "E" or "F"?

Ok that is a job for tomorrow, it's the middle of the night and I already pissed the neighbours off a few hours ago starting her up with loud pipes while they should be sleeping...........:shrug:The bike is new I got excited!

If it fits it's right, you can hear the clickity clickity if you have the cap that goes on the thread, if you have the cap on plug type it will wobble around on the thread only plug.

hold me.....im so scared!!!
maybe the screw on part ran away when you pulled the cap off? swipe the lawn mowere screw on end and see if it will screw onto your cycle plug. free to see, then you will know.

@ Sreimer…………….Sorry I'm tryin to learn, don't have anyone in my life to have taught me this stuff growing up. Prefer to try than to pay out $$$$ to some workshop that may or mayn't be doing what they say.
But don't worry……….. Oshkosh, WI is a long way from Melbourne, Australia and to even my limited knowledge you can't ride an XS under the sea.

@ angus……what a bright spark you are. But if it is there I think it will be stuck in the cap. Certainly another thing to test.

Funny I thought you were dissing me Reimer cause I am close enough that we may share the road some day... No worries from me though :laugh:

Not anyone at all in particular! Just seems to be a ton of redundant and thoughtless questions here latly. I think that this is one of the easiest bikes to ride and maintain that there is.sometimes I forget that I've been riding and racing them for over 20 years I love the bike and this site! And should be more forthright

It depends on what type of plug cap you have. There are 2 kinds, one that fits on that terminal nut, the other that fits on the terminal stud, the threaded portion left behind after removing the nut. Your cap appears to be the terminal nut type so you want that nut threaded on your plug.

NGKLB05.jpg

I prefer the terminal stud type, I think they grip better.

edit - looking at your photo closer, I really can't tell which type of cap you have. The inside of the cap is too dark to see. If it is the terminal stud type, it won't fit on the nut. If it is the nut type, it would be very loose on the stud.

Yay problem solved........well it appears there was no problem, all is good

They are stud type caps:

LB05F 5K Ohm on the left
LD05F 5K Ohm on the right

Not sure what the diff is between the B and D but don't think that matters.

Cheers everyone for you patience!

Back