Did the 78' have a "headlight on" indicator on the dashboard?

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
I have a 79' so no light switch. I got rid of the safety/headlight relay because it was smoked and used a modern one for the starter and added a manual headlight switch. I got the switch from a 78' and it looks like I don't even have to swap housings, as the switch portion will screw right into mine. It has 3 wires though, 2 blue and a red. I'm wondering if one went to an indicator light on the dash, letting the rider know the lights are on

I have a green LED in my headlight bucket to tell me the same thing. This would make wiring a snap.

No, there was not a "lights on" indicator light on the '78. They did have the "Headlight Failure" light but that only comes on if a headlight beam burns out (low beam for sure, high beam not sure). Take a closer look at the 3 wires. According to the wiring diagrams there was one blue, one blue/black, and one red/yellow. The red/yellow branches off a switched brown from the key and is power in. The blue runs to the instrument lights. The blue/black runs back to the safety relay and the RLU. The RLU runs the power signal through the high/low switch to the headlight.

The RLU!!! Of course! I don't know how the hell I forgot about that thing having once been part of the harness. Of course that would be the one to throw additional wires into the mix.

A basic continuity test reveals that red/yellow and blue/black are indeed what I need for the most basic of basic "on-off" circuits.

I will keep my green LED wired the way it is, to remind me of whether or not I turned my headlight on.

Thanks 5Twins!

Back