Indicators not flashing

stuart23

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Ive just got an xs650 and was built without indicators which im trying to add.Ive got the original handlebar switch with all wires intact.I have also got a new led flasher unit and indicators.I tapped into a live from ignition switch to flasher relay then flasher relay to brown/white wire from handlebar switch,connected all the indicators but they only light up an dont flash any of you electrickery wizards tell me where im going wrong? Thanks stuart

Turn signal canceling unit? Are the signals LED also? Is the handle bar painted? A bike with out signals would seem to have some modifications made to it in the past. Are either the flasher or canceling unit still in the circuit?

Last edited:
When I fitted led indicators (genuine Yam) to my XSR700, I switched the wires round from the instructions provided and they worked perfectly. Based on advice from a mechanic friend. Might be worth a try?

If you have the stock wire harness you may need the canceling unit to make the circuit work. They are all tied together. Find "Tech" at the top of the page and find "Electrical". You will find schematics for your Year/Model.

Well if you have the right parts It perhaps is possible to remove the battery from the bike and connect your Flashing circuit outside the bike to the battery
On ordinary wiring not so many wires perhaps use front leds only . Dont know how these look but an assumption hot + and low - to each led
and some relay unit .Dont need a switch just hold the upside to + and downside to -
Please read the manual I know to little of these .Sometimes there can be restrictions on how to hook them up.

Getting Info if it is flashing and perhaps needs a resistor.

First thought to low Voltage feeding the flasher relay

Is your flasher two or three prong?
I would try adding a regular bulb, see if that "fixes" the no flash.
The internal flasher electronics need the plus 12 and at least a little ground path to operate, LEDs don't provide a ground as they are basically diodes.

Last edited:
Back