died and won't start

pahako

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I went for a ride tonight and got a couple blocks from home and the bike died. I noticed before it died that when I put on the brakes the headlight would dim considerably. The bike would not start at all and none of the lights worked. Would not jump start when rolling down a hill either. Got it home after much effort ( I live on a hill) :( and tested the battery, the meter read 13.3 volts. What should I check for next?:shrug:

You need to look at the current path from the battery to the ignition coil.

The list includes;
Main fuse
Ignition switch
Ignition fuse
Kill switch
bullet connectors

You didn't say what year you have. If its 78 special to 83 years, the original glass fuse type fuse holders are worn out and cause high resistance.

What RG said and....

Just because you're getting 13.3G at the battery docent mean it's good. Put the meter on the battery then turn on the key and headlight. If it drops dramatically then your battery is no bueno or your charging system stopped working. Batteries can read good, but if they have a bad cell they will have no ampage.
Also, if the lights have no draw on the battery at all you have blown a fuse.
Did it sputter a little before it died?

It may be too obvious but... Did you have any fuel in the tank, or do you need to swtch to reserve?

Glenn

So I think I got it fixed. One of the main fuse holders was broke and the main fuse blown. Soldered a new fuse holder for the main and everything seems to be working again. I still notice a slight dimming of the headlight when the brake light is on. Maybe it has always done that. Is that normal? The battery reads about 12.7 when the key is on, and there is about 3/8 inch left on the brushes. Took it for a spin around the hood and it seems to run like normal. Should I assume all is well, or is there any other thing that needs to be checked out? By the way it is an 81 special, and thanks for the replies everyone.

Last edited:
Back