Differences between earlier and later style clutch cables?

bobber bill

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've got a black clutch cable here that I always thought to be the right one but I ran into a problem recently.

Based on VIN, I have what appears to be a 78-79 motor. I have done the single long clutch push rod mod to it. The push rod sticks out just under 48mm past the seal.

My clutch cable has about 4.75" of total free cable. Is this right for later style clutch cables?

My problem is that there doesn't seem to be enough free cable to make the clutch/lever work. There isn't any free cable left for the lever/perch once I install it on the worm gear end and tighten down the side cover.

I just assumed that I had the right cable based on color ( MikesXS ). I'm hoping that I just have a shorter cable, possibly from an earlier year, instead of a more serious clutch issue. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

I don't think there's any difference in the cables whether they be early or late style. What you probably need to do is loosen the worm gear adjustment. That often needs resetting when you change a cable, pushrod, or sometimes even if just removing/reinstalling that left cover.

Back