Different set of points

Looks like Ive started something.
Anyway got bike legal and just on a shakedown run. Lot of oil coming from somewhere, need to wash it down to determine where exactly.
Not unusual to have a few oil leaks I know but this is a bit much.
XSessive
20180110_180953.jpg
20180110_180511.jpg
20180110_180351.jpg

Bike died!!!!
Right here!
Well up the hill more was going up the other way..
Flattery battery sin drome I thinkz
Commonly alternator brushes from past experience. Waddles off to search alternator brushes.
Batteries on charge now.
And bikes left on a farm over Tomewin side of the border. .. .
20180110_183529.jpg

Your plugs look like a #8, and the standard "B" type? They should be the "BP" (projected tip) type and one step hotter (#7) .....

klkH29p.jpg

Your plugs look like a #8, and the standard "B" type? They should be the "BP" (projected tip) type and one step hotter (#7) .....

klkH29p.jpg

REALLY!!! Well spotted!
Theres me getting all artistic with my camera phone and you spot my plugs.
Zoom in B8ES......Im still using my old TX650 manual...could that be why?
Woudnt stop the bike though.
Good spot though!...Is that why she aint 'performing ' like she should?
Cos its a shakedown run Im going easy but a quick squirt along the flat through the canefields was a bit doughy.....have I been spoilt by 1800cc of bored and cammed and inducted Victory?
A lifetime of XS leads me to believe this old Specials not at its peak...
Unless my aging memory fails me they have plenty of grunt.
Just not what Im used to...
Anyway first things first gotta track down alternator brushes.
I can grab a pair of the correct plugs too across the road at a parts store if you reckon itll make that much difference?....its a big hill after all

Yes, the B8 was the first plug used, in the early models. That spec was changed to the BP7ES for later models, but they can be used in the early ones too. The projected tip design is supposed to give a better, more complete "burn". I don't think this type of plug was being made yet when these bikes first came out. If you look at those B8's, you'll probably see they're running kinda dark. So, the 7's should burn cleaner (better color) and may improve the running as well.

Back