disc clearance against fork tube?

birdhouse

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i put the front tire back together like it was (atleast I thought) and I seem to have clearance issues with my brake disc against my fork tube? Cant even bolt calipher bracket on mounts becaus disc is to close to fork? I put the stock spacer back as I took it apart. Can you space the fork and tire to allow the difference? Thanks for all the help in advance

This-thread-is-useless-without-pictures.gif

is it rubbing against the forks? Mine is REALLY close.maybe washers or spacers would do the trick.
big jimmy, what would a pictures show us? Order of assembly?

Pics as requested.stock spacer is in place as i took it apart. I realize this is not rocket science!!!!!

Attachments

• FORKS 1.jpg
    FORKS 1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 157
  • FORKS 2.jpg
    FORKS 2.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 167
  • FORK3.jpg
    FORK3.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 153
yea it seated correctly. Im glad this thread has been made into such big deal for what seems to be a simple solution. Got to love a smart ass!!!! If I wanted to deal with a smartass I would call the ex-girlfriend!!! Let me explain this again, bike is put back as I took it apart It had proper clearance then. Its very obvious I have 1/16 clearance between disc and fork by the pics I provided. The pictures also show clearly that I cant get the calipher bracket to mount. Anybody else have any advice to give without bitching like a girl about the info I have provided. The big GURU sent me a schematic that is useless due to clearity and size,Witch I also have in my Clymers witch I have already looked at. Thanks guys in advanced for all the help.:D

Im not trying to be a smart-ass at all I swear, but Im not in front of my bike but isnt the disc kind of concave facing one way and convex facing the other way. Maybe turn it around? As stated above, not being a smart-ass, just trying to help...

yea it seated correctly. Im glad this thread has been made into such big deal for what seems to be a simple solution. Got to love a smart ass!!!! If I wanted to deal with a smartass I would call the ex-girlfriend!!! Let me explain this again, bike is put back as I took it apart It had proper clearance then. Its very obvious I have 1/16 clearance between disc and fork by the pics I provided. The pictures also show clearly that I cant get the calipher bracket to mount. Anybody else have any advice to give without bitching like a girl about the info I have provided. The big GURU sent me a schematic that is useless due to clearity and size,Witch I also have in my Clymers witch I have already looked at. Thanks guys in advanced for all the help.:D

It's not obvious because your pictures are tiny. Nothing is shown CLEARLY. No one is trying to be a smartass. We're trying to help you out. So watch your tone. Your pics are useless due to their *clarity* and size. *Which* you should be able to figure it out on your own if you have a Clymer because most of what you need is in there. Get over yourself. Be humble and realize that your pictures didn't help *clarify* anything. Maybe you should call your ex g/f b/c apparently she's more inept in figuring this out.

For reference:

This is how big your "clarifying" images are.

View attachment 7364

View attachment 7365

View attachment 7366

Maybe you should try swallowing elephants and choke on some knats, I mean *GNATS*.

"i put the front tire back together like it was (atleast I thought)"

Maybe the spacers weren't set up correctly in the first place, and the PO just wedged things in. The diagram from Yamaha isn't too clear, so maybe you should just experiment w/different washers and their spacings. If you do come up with an answer let us know, in case this problem comes up again.

If you want a more clear schematic. Go to bikebandit.com and look up your bike then oem. It will take you to the schematic that I posted, but you will be able to zoom in pretty well.

Im not gonna keep a pissing contest going I just simply want my front end together properly. Im still doing my research. Thanks for the link.

From what I can see it looks like it might an early rotor (72-76) on late model (77 0n) forks, the "dish/offset" on early and late rotors is different.
That will never fly, you need a late model rotor. I may be wrong because these old eyes are having a hard time confirming that is exactly what I see.

ggGary you are exactly right problem is solved. This is my first shot at building a bike and this is a stupid yet simple mistake. Disc mounted on wheel is off of a 79' and it needs the 80' disc!!!!! about 5/16 difference in depth *WHICH* is exactly what I need. Thanks for everyones help.

Back