Disk won't fit in the caliper with the pads?

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I finally fitted my disk onto my wheel today and when I tried to put my rebuilt brake caliper on, the disk didn't have clearance in the caliper. The prob seems to be that the pad most near the wheel sticks too far into the space on the caliper mounting. I don't see how to move it back to give the disk any clearance. The pics below show the prob as best I could. Did I assemble the caliper and pads improperly? Thanks :)

Dave

Attachments

• photo (22).JPG
    photo (22).JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 150
  • photo (23).JPG
    photo (23).JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 146
Hey guys,
I finally fitted my disk onto my wheel today and when I tried to put my rebuilt brake caliper on, the disk didn't have clearance in the caliper. The prob seems to be that the pad most near the wheel sticks too far into the space on the caliper mounting. I don't see how to move it back to give the disk any clearance. The pics below show the prob as best I could. Did I assemble the caliper and pads improperly? Thanks :)

Dave

Take the caliper off and remove the pads. Use a "C-clamp" with one end placed inside the piston. Turn the C-clamp to position the piston fully back as far as it will go. Re-install and it will work for you.

Well, the thing is that I rebuilt the caliper entirely and it's not even hooked up to anything (there's no brake fluid in it) and the piston is completely compressed. Besides that, the pad on the piston side is compressed beyond the edge of the the caliper mount, so that side is fine in terms of clearance. The problem it seems (and I may be wrong on this, but check out the picture) is the clearance on the side furthest from the piston, the pad nearest the wheel. Seems like that's fixed (abutted against the outside of the caliper edge) and cuts into the space in the mount that the disk would otherwise slide into. Thus me = confused.

I did replace the rubber on the part where the caliper bolts to the mount. Perhaps I put it in backwards and now the caliper is too far back on the mount?

Where the caliper bolts to the mount, the bushing in the caliper should slide back and forth. Could be stuck.

From looking at your pics the inside pad looks right side up, maybe just not in right. At the top of the pad there is a tab with a hole in it. This hole needs to line up with the screw that comes in from the wheel side of the caliper.
It's that or as pjmule said the caliper won't slide on the sleeve.
The caliper mounts to the bracket with a bolt that holds a metal sleeve to the bracket, the caliper has a rubber sleeve that should slide on the metal sleeve. If it won't slide then it holds the caliper off center and won't fit over the disc.
Leo

Back