Do I need a new advance rod?

Killjack

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've gone through countless threads and how to's to try and figure out if, that when I replace my stock 1975 xs650's ignition system if I also need to replace the advance rod? I understand that on the pamco site that 80's+ bikes need a few extra parts including the advance rod but the 70's don't (why is this). And I've also seen that on mikes xs that some of the pamco ignition kits you can buy come with the advance rod and bushings and some don't

So I guess my question is. I'm going to install a PMA & a pamco electronic ignition with the E-advancer which obviously would require me to remove the mechanical advancer and replace it with those spacers that come with the e-advancer. But do I need to replace the adance rod and bushings or is that optional? I just need to know if I need anything more than what is in this kit.

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0910.html

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find a solid answer. I've never worked on a motorcycle before so I need all the help I can get.

You remove the old parts from your advance rod (and service it while it's out) and it is re-used. The copper hat, 2 slotted and one plain washer that comes with the kit is secured on the right side of the rod with your existing nut in place of the double notched disc the advance flyweight fingers sit into.
On the other end, the 60 degree rotor indexes onto the shaft and is secured with the same hardware that held the cam for the points. If you have a running points bike, all you need is the $189.95 kit, or the one that comes with a coil and wires. I bought the Dyna dual mini coil and am running resistor plugs and standard wires. Just finished it yesterday. It's easy to install.

You remove the old parts from your advance rod (and service it while it's out) and it is re-used. The copper hat, 2 slotted and one plain washer that comes with the kit is secured on the right side of the rod with your existing nut in place of the double notched disc the advance flyweight fingers sit into.
On the other end, the 60 degree rotor indexes onto the shaft and is secured with the same hardware that held the cam for the points. If you have a running points bike, all you need is the $189.95 kit, or the one that comes with a coil and wires. I bought the Dyna dual mini coil and am running resistor plugs and standard wires. Just finished it yesterday. It's easy to install.

By remove old parts do you mean the points ignition and the mechanical advance? Or is there more to it? And by service do you mean grease it or is there more to servicing an advance rod than that? Thanks for your help

The advance rod comes out and you clean the bearing surfaces off on both ends, then apply a small bit of moly grease on those surfaces when you reinstall. Not anything else to the service. The points, the points cam (on the left end of the rod) and the advancer on the right end all get chunked. Keep the nuts and washers. You will need them for the Pamco install. Links to installation here pretty much tell the story.
http://www.yamahaxs650.com/

Back