Do I need a petcock?

The Tin Man

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So get your minds out of the gutter. Now.
I'm running an RD 350 Tank on my xs. The petcock doesn't work it interferes with the motor. I've made a block off plate and there are two other fuel outlets is there any reason apart from when I remove the tank why I need inline taps? I'm running a filter or each and one line to each carbie. It's getting busy if I put inline taps so Im thinking if the carbs don't leak ( new Mikunis) then I can get away without taps.
So who turns the fuel off whenever that are not riding?

My '79 Special has vacuum petcocks thus I really have no means of physically turning them off. I must rely (hope?, cross-fingers?) that the vacuum system works as intended. Having said that, I think it would be prudent to have some means of assuring that the fuel was turned off, especially during storage. Floats have been known to stick and crankcases have been know to fill with fuel...... I'm just sayin'.....

Mike

Back in the 70s - 80s all my fiends said "Always turn your petcock off when you park". It was just accepted by all that the float would stick at some point. Now to the question - I do not know if anyone has tried replacing the XS650 petcock with a direct feed line and a fuel pump (acts as a shut off valve). Perhaps the float valve is no rated for a fuel pump????

You need a shutoff of some kind. These fuel systems are 40 years old at this point. Even with filters, it's not uncommon for a float to stick a bit or to get a small piece of contamination in the float valve (it happens once in a while on my RD350). When that happens, you get fuel in the crankcase and may hydraulically lock the engine - not good at all.

I turn off the petcocks on all my bikes between rides. It's cheap insurance.

it's not a matter of IF a float will stick, but WHEN.

What he said.
93BB9691-E96F-441D-9334-1DCED38ED526.jpeg

I would just run the lines to the carbs. Then you can come back and tell us what happens when the crank fills with gas. Considerer it a scientific experiment.

File the turn-limiting nubbin off the stop-plate and cut the gas tap handle short enough to point straight up to give the stock petcock a true OFF position at no cost
OR
Swap in a MikesXS true off petcock for a C-note+ if you include the shipping.

Last edited:
Back