"Do it yourself" bedliner paint for a frame?

L_Kilkenny

XS650 Member
Reaction score
When looking for a "more durable than standard paint" home FRAME finish this idea popped up in my mind recently and I thought I'd ask for some opinions here. Never used the stuff before, many different brands.

Added info: Dual sport/tracker style build.

LK

I used a 3M brand "roll on" bedliner to do the inside of the body tub of my old jeep. that stuffs tough as nails if you follow the instructions and apply many coats. its hard to get a good uniform finish, maybe if you used a foam roller or brush instead of the normal roller included in the kit, it would turn out nice and smooth. post pics if you go with this idea. id be interested to see how it turns out!

My buddy sprayed his old car with rhino liner. Came out good mint. He just had to keep cutting it until the mixture was right to flow out of the gun

n1347766317_154199_5768.jpg

I used roll on bed liner stuff once on a car floor pan. It was a cheaper brand (about $40 a gallon) and it was total junk. If you do it, don't get the cheapest stuff you can find. :twocents:

My vote is to leave bedliner in truck beds. Today's modern urethane paints are quite tough. And I have to admit, I like shiny paint.:)

And I was just looking for some white bed liner paint to paint the lower part of my F350.
I have used the spray bomb bed liner paint that you can buy at Oreily,s . Takes awhile to dry .I used it on a cb550 savior frame. It turned out dull looking and I should have sprayed a clear over it I reckon. Other than the lack of shine It worked out fairly well.

How durable do you really need your frame paint to be???

Just get it powder coated. The "build up" of the spray liner would cause all sorts of fits when reassembling the bike.

p!nK

Well, like a lot of guys I've powder coated, rhino linered and painted. To me, nothing beats a good urethane paint for ruggedness, good looks and ease of application.

Powder is overrated IMO and is really not much different than paint. Powder coat is basically plastic powder that is melted on. Urethane is plastic powder in a catalyst that is chemically bonded.

Both are good coatings but neither is fool proof or bullet proof. Powder resists being sprayed into corners (the Faradyne effect) and is trickier to touch up than urethane. Also powder coating tends to be pricier.

But there are lots of powder guys out there doing some beautiful and amazing work.

i actually just used Rustoleum truck bed liner spray paint on my triple trees, fork legs, and "oil tank" and I really like the way it came out.

Ive used several of the different brands methods for various projects, and typically you get what you pay for...I'd always recommend a 2-part system for durability, but Ive been surprised by some of the 1-part systems....

Spray-on: UPOL's raptor spray on is excellent. Need to get a cheap schutz gun or undercoat gun to apply. Its black or tintable clear. Good professional looking finish and dirt-cheap! Just make sure to account for LOTS of overspray!

Aerosol: Ive used the Dupli-color aerosol (bout ten bones a can) and was actually very impressed. Sprayed the wheels on my truck and a helmet with it and its very hard for a 1k product. So far its lasted 6 months on my truck wheels without a blemish. Id recommend it if you go with rattlecan.

Brush-on: Have used the Herculiner (one part) in my truck bed and Im disgusted with it. Just wanted to hide the old color real quick after a re-paint. Within weeks it chalked and looked like crap...

I agree with kent on powder....good stuff but way over-rated....POLY-urethanes like Imron and some of PPGs fleet stuff is hard as nails, and lays out well on frames and intricate parts....

Craig

I have grown to really love the Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy for spray can, home use. No need for primer.

I heat the can in warm water, shake good and dust it for the first coat. Wait 15 minutes, then do all the joint and little hard to reach places. Then give it the whole frame a good thick second coat. Wait 25-30 minutes and give it a heavy final coat. The Epoxy goes on thick without running (if you can spray good) and is actually pretty durable.

My Two Pennies worth anyway

I used regular rustoleum on my Nighthawk and it came out just fine. Gloss too. It's just really vital to get the frame outside and in the sun to bake and cure properly.

Yes. I do the same with epoxy. The weather can also have a lot to do with the quality of a home job.

The Appliance Epoxy takes a week to cure.

Thanks for the input guys. Don't know what I'm gonna do. I'd like to end up with a satin to semi-gloss finish on it which is one of the obvious disadvantages to the bedliner spray. Color choice might be another issue. I'm gonna want to use some of this same color on other areas of the bike including the body work and engine. Keep the advice coming.

Another question: Paint for engine side covers..... Too hot for regular enamal?

LK

I would use engine paint on the side covers in case anything drips on it. Regular paint will get eaten up and the engine paint will repel most fluids that would come in contact with it.

My friend used spray liner on his XS frame and really likes it. He advised to spray really close to give it a smoother effect rather than that rough textured look.

I used spray can bedliner on my old Honda xl600 dualsport and then a top coat of red similar to the original red that was on the frame and it turned out glossy with a slightly textured finish but it was pretty durable.

Back