Do overhead valve compression tools work with the xs650 heads?

sgallaty

Antihero
Reaction score
I strongly prefer the overhead valve compression tools, the ones that clamp over the spring and compresses the spring below the cap/circlips, but I'm wondering if that works with the dual spring setup on the xs650 heads?

Anyone have any experience with one that works on this engine?

The one that MikesXS sells is the best I've ever used on any engine (#35-0115). It's the large C clamp type.

Hmmm. The type I am using now is the vice-grips style, which is the fastest but least 'stable' kind. By stable I mean it's not prone to slipping off and twisting.

I consider the c-clamp style to be slowest (unless the threads have a quickrelease, but those tend to be weak at the threads)

The kind I am talking about is a device that drops over the valve and compresses just the spring, just enough to get the valve apart.

I have one of those as well. It's very hard, if not impossible, to get it down in on the 650 spring. There's not much room around the spring.

I've used the type of tool you are talking about. I used it on my XS400 which has a similar double spring setup. I'm not sure what inside the valve compartment looks like on the 650 yet but I'll tell you the tool made it damn near impossible to get the collets off. Took me nearly 2 hours to get the springs off. Wishing i had bought the C-Clamp style.

Back