Do you believe in the Gremlin Bell ?

I believe... Most see only whats right in front of their faces and some not even that.. Some look without really seeing same as Some hear without really listening..

That's cos you live on he gold coast, too much sun frys your brain! :laughing:

Us Melbournians are much wiser & paler :laughing:

Sharing a tale......

LEGEND OF THE BELL

Many years ago, on a cold December night a crusty old biker was returning from a trip to Mexico with his saddlebags filled with toys and other assorted trinkets for the kids at a group home, near where he worked.

As he rode along that night he thought about how lucky he had been in life, having a loving riding partner that understood his needs to roam the highways and of his trusty old scooter that hadn't let him down once in the many years they'd shared the road.

Well, about 40 miles north of the border, in the high desert lurked a group of those notorious little critters known as road gremlins. You know, the ones that always leave little obstacles like shoes, boards, pieces of old tires and such lying in the road. They're the ones who dig those dreaded potholes for bikers to run over and then crash; thus giving the road gremlins a chance to rejoice over their acts of evil.

As the old lone wolf of a biker rounded a curve that moonlit night......the gremlins ambushed him, causing him to crash to the asphalt and skid sideways before coming to a stop next to one of his broken loose saddlebags. As he lay there, unable to move, the road gremlins made their moves towards him. This biker was not one to give up easily so he started throwing things at the gremlins as they approached him. Finally, with nothing else to throw but a bell; he started ringing it instead with hopes of scaring off the dirty little rascals.

Some distance away camped in the desert, two bikers were sitting around the camp fire talking about their days ride.
In the stillness of the night air they heard what sounded to them like church bells ringing. Investigating, they found the old biker lying along the road with the gremlins about to get him. Needless to say,(being part of the biker brotherhood) they proceeded to ward off the gremlins until the last of them ran off into the night.

Grateful to the two bikers, the old road dog offered to pay them for their help but; as all true bikers would, they refused to accept any type of payment. Not being one to let a good deed go unreturned, the old biker cut two pieces of leatherfrom his saddle bags and tied a little bell to each and then slowly placed them on each the two bikers motorcycles as near to the ground as practical.

The tired old road warrior then told the two travelers that with those bells placed on their bikes they would be protected from the road gremlins thereafter. If ever in trouble, just ring their bells. Fellow bikers will come to their aid just as they had done for him.

So... whenever you see a biker with a bell on his bike, you'll know that he has been blessed with a most important thing in life....the friendship of a fellow biker.

Sharing a tale......

LEGEND OF THE BELL

Many years ago, on a cold December night a crusty old biker was returning from a trip to Mexico with his saddlebags filled with toys and other assorted trinkets for the kids at a group home, near where he worked.

As he rode along that night he thought about how lucky he had been in life, having a loving riding partner that understood his needs to roam the highways and of his trusty old scooter that hadn't let him down once in the many years they'd shared the road.

Well, about 40 miles north of the border, in the high desert lurked a group of those notorious little critters known as road gremlins. You know, the ones that always leave little obstacles like shoes, boards, pieces of old tires and such lying in the road. They're the ones who dig those dreaded potholes for bikers to run over and then crash; thus giving the road gremlins a chance to rejoice over their acts of evil.

As the old lone wolf of a biker rounded a curve that moonlit night......the gremlins ambushed him, causing him to crash to the asphalt and skid sideways before coming to a stop next to one of his broken loose saddlebags. As he lay there, unable to move, the road gremlins made their moves towards him. This biker was not one to give up easily so he started throwing things at the gremlins as they approached him. Finally, with nothing else to throw but a bell; he started ringing it instead with hopes of scaring off the dirty little rascals.

Some distance away camped in the desert, two bikers were sitting around the camp fire talking about their days ride.
In the stillness of the night air they heard what sounded to them like church bells ringing. Investigating, they found the old biker lying along the road with the gremlins about to get him. Needless to say,(being part of the biker brotherhood) they proceeded to ward off the gremlins until the last of them ran off into the night.

Grateful to the two bikers, the old road dog offered to pay them for their help but; as all true bikers would, they refused to accept any type of payment. Not being one to let a good deed go unreturned, the old biker cut two pieces of leatherfrom his saddle bags and tied a little bell to each and then slowly placed them on each the two bikers motorcycles as near to the ground as practical.

The tired old road warrior then told the two travelers that with those bells placed on their bikes they would be protected from the road gremlins thereafter. If ever in trouble, just ring their bells. Fellow bikers will come to their aid just as they had done for him.

So... whenever you see a biker with a bell on his bike, you'll know that he has been blessed with a most important thing in life....the friendship of a fellow biker.

Thanks, Blue. Made my day!

Gremlins are my friends. But that's because I understand their language & realize they are not attempting to harm me, but assist me in my journey by protecting me from the hazards on the path I(we) have chosen. Together we do some great things.
:D:thumbsup::bike:

Suppose: that your ride bell meant to you only just that which you chose it to mean. That which when you heard from or saw your bell you were reminded to recall, to reflect upon or ponder a bit. Perhaps just a "stop & think" first, amidst the haste.

A safety check list run down before starting.....things to remind yourself not to forget before leaving....promises to friends or loved ones....to do NOTS (no flip flops, shorts, unbuckled chin straps etc.) or even promises to oneself (like not riding under the influence) ???

Maybe just a gentle ringing reminder to make good choices, considered judgements, to keep your mind on what you're doing, to breathe deeply, to take it all in. Whatever, it means what you want it to for you in the big picture. Even just to keep your hat on for indeed you may not be coming back down this same row again.

Then....might having and believing in your ride bell be meaningful and worthwhile?

Indeed, as my dear wife says...."Men who kiss their wives goodbye before leaving live longer than those who don't".

Gremlins or no, I'll stick with the kisses and the bells! Blue

Last edited:
Yes and no. The bell will keep the bike from breaking down by attracting the breakdown gremlins and trapping them inside, where they are hit in the head and killed by the jangly thing in the bell and simply fall out. But - they do nothing for road gremlins, which even if attracted by the bell are too large to fit inside. People are starting to attribute too much to the bell, including keeping you shoes tied.

I suspect this evolved from the practice of wearing bells so as no to walk up on some big animal and surprise them.

You all know the lecture that is given where black bears and grizzlies abide.
The black bear considers humans prey while the grizzley jusrt considers them intruders on their turf. So, they say, wear bells in your hat to wearn the grizleys that you are coming and avoid a confrontation and carry pepper spray to squirt in the eyes of the black bear if attacked.

Also, keep an eye out for bear skat, they say. The grizley scat will have twigs and such from grazing on berries and the black bear skat will have little bells in it and smell like pepper spray

I suspect this evolved from the practice of wearing bells so as no to walk up on some big animal and surprise them.

You all know the lecture that is given where black bears and grizzlies abide.
The black bear considers humans prey while the grizzley jusrt considers them intruders on their turf. So, they say, wear bells in your hat to wearn the grizleys that you are coming and avoid a confrontation and carry pepper spray to squirt in the eyes of the black bear if attacked.

Also, keep an eye out for bear skat, they say. The grizley scat will have twigs and such from grazing on berries and the black bear skat will have little bells in it and smell like pepper spray

I think you got your bears backwards but well put just the same.

I think you got your bears backwards but well put just the same.

As a rule I don't let facts get in the way of a good story, but in this case, it is true that black bear attacks on humans are motiviated by hunger (they will stalk, kill and eat people) and most griz attacks are territorial. You don't want to sneak up on a griz or have a black bear sneak up on you.

I read a story not long ago about a guy who shot and gutted a deer and then went on to hunt some more. When he came back to the deer a griz had claimed the kill. The bear attacked him, and in their fight the hunter mortally injured the bear with his bowie knife. But the bear had ripped his scalp off and the hunter bled to death on his way back to his truck on account of he was on blood thinners for a heart condition.

Now THAT is a bear story ain't it.

But, back to the bells.

I reckon that they have the same value as a piece of string tied around your finger. They both remind you not to forget something. With the bells, it is namely that you need to stay alert when you ride your motorcycle - unexpected dangers abound.

Call 'em gremlins if that keeps your head in the game.

As a rule I don't let facts get in the way of a good story, but in this case, it is true that black bear attacks on humans are motiviated by hunger (they will stalk, kill and eat people) and most griz attacks are territorial. You don't want to sneak up on a griz or have a black bear sneak up on you.

I read a story not long ago about a guy who shot and gutted a deer and then went on to hunt some more. When he came back to the deer a griz had claimed the kill. The bear attacked him, and in their fight the hunter mortally injured the bear with his bowie knife. But the bear had ripped his scalp off and the hunter bled to death on his way back to his truck on account of he was on blood thinners for a heart condition.

Now THAT is a bear story ain't it.

But, back to the bells.

I reckon that they have the same value as a piece of string tied around your finger. They both remind you not to forget something. With the bells, it is namely that you need to stay alert when you ride your motorcycle - unexpected dangers abound.

Call 'em gremlins if that keeps your head in the game.

Well, I must say, you forced me to do some quick research on bears that proved you correct. Thanks for enlightening me. I wonder if bears eat gremlins.

I have a set of three really old skeleton keys mounted front and low that make a nice jingle and scare those little buggers right off

I was gifted with a pewter bell. Time an travel wore the connecting loop down .....it's somewhere between here on the ridge and Madison In. I like to think that stretch of road is covered for me now.

Somebody asked me recently about best placement for a bell. Here's some shots of where I usually placed them on my bikes. In this case on the only brand new bike I ever had and my best so far Falstaff.... my 90' first year Fatboy. Right up tight under the steering column. 157 k miles and still going strong when we parted shortly after these pics were taken.

Yup....I do believe in Bells on Bikes! Blue

Attachments

• Head On.JPG
    Head On.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Rollout.JPG
    Rollout.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Falstaff Redo.JPG
    Falstaff Redo.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 147
Back