Do you carry an emergency kit?

Unless I am only going a few miles to work, I almost always use a tailbag strapped to the seat. Something like this works great on the XS650:
85371_pr8542img1_1__66550.1455832528.200.200.jpg

The straps are really like big bungee cords with very large plastic hooks on the ends. They are permanently attached to the bag in a criss-cross formation under the bag (that's why you cannot see them in the photo). I attach the hooks to the rear turn signal stalks and the passenger footpeg mounts.

Totally secure and totally out of the way, plus big enough to hold a laptop, gloves, tools, and just about whatever other crapola I am hauling at the time.

BTW - I agree with Fred above - wearing a backpack on a motorcycle is not always a wonderful idea...IMO.

Pete

This may be a good option for me but I like the leather saddle bag option a little better for my build. Something like this..

Those bags are usually mounted on the left side only, why? My guess is that they also serve as chain guards?

I like to have a multi-meter, electrical tape, roll of wire and two or three small LED flashlights. I've used these things more than a few times. I once had a tail light problem that couldn't be fixed on the roadside, I stuck one of those LED flashlights in the tail light to get home.

Scott

Last edited:
I’ve wondered the same thing. Maybe because the bikes that have drum brakes have ancors that would get in the way of them..not sure

I've always thought it was because most exhausts run down the right side of the bike, especially on Harley's. Putting these bags on the left in those cases avoids exhaust interference.

I include 1 spark plug in my kit. On Saturday when the bike died I pulled out the spare plug and tested for a spark. No fingers were burnt and no spark was found so I went straight to the fuse box and found the ignition fuse not seated properly. Also have a bicycle CO2 inflater so I do not have to work too hard with my mini bicycle pump and have 2 meters of electrical wire and tape.

I've always thought it was because most exhausts run down the right side of the bike, especially on Harley's. Putting these bags on the left in those cases avoids exhaust interference.

I've always thought it was because people mount the bike from the LH side and when you swing your leg over, you are more likely to hit a bag mounted on the RH side....

I've got a small square leather bag on the right side of the bike. At first I had it on the left side. The reason I changed it from left to right was because when putting the bike on the center stand...there was no room to grab the bike with my right hand to help it lift on the stand. And I find easier accessible to put things in/out....and there is no grease from the chain on it.

I've got a small square leather bag on the right side of the bike. At first I had it on the left side. The reason I changed it from left to right was because when putting the bike on the center stand...there was no room to grab the bike with my right hand to help it lift on the stand. And I find easier accessible to put things in/out....and there is no grease from the chain on it.
I would have never thought of chain grease! Now I know for sure my bag is going on the right side lol

I have my stock tool kit on the Yamaha. Had to use it last month when my throttle cable broke. Harley I run with spark plug socket and plugs. Haven’t went far enough on the Norton yet. Still in the process of bringing the 52 yo out of hibernation and taking only short rides.

Nice one. I've got a square bag myself, so it's interchangeable left or right. It was actually a sissy bar bag which I used for 12 years on my Low Rider. It's now attached with two leather straps to the frame underneath the saddle. Between the blinker and the shock. I bolted a small iron strip behind it to prevent it dangling against the rear tyre when it's filled with tools. Can't take a picture right now, I'm in Finland at the moment...without the bike. But it looks somewhat similar to this one; https://dowcopowersports.com/media/...lack-jack-sissy-bar-bag-59591-00-image-42.jpg

Back