Do you think that this is stretched?

kelso

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I really like the look of this bike! I have been planning to hardtail my frame and I really want to go with 21" spoked rims on the front and rear but I know that the combination of the two will have me heading in for kidney dialysis within the week. I ran across this bike and I really like the look. I am thinking of going for something like this and I am just curious whether there is stretch in the swingarm or not. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• xs650-chop-noid-XS24-587x366 (1).jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-XS24-587x366 (1).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 259
Nice looking bikes. Looks like the suspension is pretty much non-existent. There's hardly any room for travel in the rear, so those shocks must be pretty stiff. On the front, those forks are lowered quite a bit. I would guess the rear wheel is a re-laced xs hub, while the front is off a dirt bike.

Does anyone know what tank that is? It looks to be a modified stock tank to me but not sure.

His thread on xs650chopper.com under "Klutch Brat tracker" says it is a Harley Superglide take off. Dirt bike handle bars, 21s on front and back...

There is a thread on here somewhere that describes lacing the stock hubs to Yamaha dirt bike 21" rims using spokes from Mikesxs. That is what I hope to do.

I am starting to dig the look of this bike over the hardtails that I have been drooling over for 3 years and the idea of suspension made it seem pretty attractive too. It would be a shame to have suspension but have it be so tight that it feels non-existent. Would leaving more clearance between tire and rim be all you need to get more movement and a lighter shock or is there something else that I am missing?

@Mollard- Where did you get the pic? I would love to get a few more cause I will likely model my build after something like this. All of the pics on the other site are in black and white at difficult angles to see the bikes components.

Kelso,

I reckon the shock angle on that bike is going to effect that suspension more then anything. He is able to run such small amounts of clearance DUE to the suspension set up, not vice versa. Stiff shocks, steep angle, bleeding ass.

That being said, I think that is my favorite xs to this day.

Kelso,

I reckon the shock angle on that bike is going to effect that suspension more then anything. He is able to run such small amounts of clearance DUE to the suspension set up, not vice versa. Stiff shocks, steep angle, bleeding ass.

That being said, I think that is my favorite xs to this day.

I would be curious to know whether this or a hardtail with a decent set of seat springs would be a more comfortable ride. This may be my favorite xs too but I still really like the look of a hardtail with 21s on front and back. I am frankly pretty torn between which way to go with the bike design and comfort would put me over the edge either way.

Here's one of my old bikes. 10.5 springs on it. Rode like shit.
My hardtail had "clothes pin spring" style springs and it was about the same. The thickness of the seat pad is where you'll really feel it. Hitting bumps is one thing, having all your weight pressing your tail bone against a hard object for a long time is another. Kinda like sitting on a metal chair for an hour. A cushion makes it a whole lot better.
cl5.jpg

Back