Do you think this is an OK deal?

stealthtt24

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! New to the forum, currently have an 80' SR500 that I was going to turn into a cafe style bike. I've started debating on a little bit of a faster bike. Well I have stumbled apon the XS650 which is very much similiar to the SR500 in the looks department IMO. Well I have found one 45 minutes away and was wondering your thoughts.

Here is the link...

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/3168484630.html

I talked to the owner and he stated there are 3 problems. First is the battery will need replacing in the near future as it is weak to start with the electric start. He states he always uses the kick starter. Second is he said the cam chain guide will need replacing as the rubber has worn out. He stated he has the part and he wishes he would have done it when he did all the other maintence, but this part requires the motor to be removed apparently? Third, and this could be an issue or not... but the title he has in his name is for his parts bike, so the vin on the bike does not match the title. I am able run the vin in my state (florida) and where he said it was last titled (minnesota) and it did not come back stolen. He states he lost the MN title when he moved down.

So I didnt ask if he will take less than $1700 but thats that. He says there are no other issues. I would want to immediately throw a battery on it and change the handlebars to clip ons. What do you guys think?? Yay neh or maybe? Thanks guys!

Sorry for the long intro post, I also wanted to mention the bikes main use will be around town. No highway usage, but will use this 3 to 5 times weekly (I have have another mode of transportation). Leaving it stock but will just change costmetically.

Without a title it is a crap shoot at best. I don't know what the likelyhood of you getting a title for the bike is in FL but if you can't get a title for it then at best it is a parts bike and should be priced accordingly. If he was the last titled owner in MN then he needs to apply for a lost title in MN transfer it to FL and then sell it as a titled bike. with the cost of the vintage bikes shooting up so much lately $1700 isn't that bad for a titled bike but as a parts bike with no title and the issues you have stated I wouldn't pay more than about $500-600. Now if he wants to go through the hassles of getting the title work done prior to sale then I would try to get him down into the $1300-1500 range.

Prices for these bikes are going up, lately for all used bikes going up... But he's asking too much in my opinion because it has a lot of miles, needs a cam chain tensioner part ( normal but does require engine removal ) and has registration issues... Keep shopping

Thanks, I guess ill need to figure that out. Im sure he's thinking it's not a big deal cause he's not the one that has to worry about it. I'll ask him but I can tell he doesn't seem that concerned as he said a few people have came and gone.

Stealthtt24, Thought you might pop up over here. If I was closer to Orlando that SR would be mine! Anyway, that's quite a bit of money for a "Special" with 55,000 miles.
I paid $1,200 for mine with less than 6,000 miles. If it was me I'd read alot of threads here and study XS650's a bit. They're great bikes and a bit easier (electric leg) to live with than the SR. However, you've mentioned performance and speed numerous times when commenting on the SR. XS650's are faster than SR's but maybe your a candidate for something more like a Honda CB 750. IMHO you need to slow down a bit and shop around for a bike that will meet your expectations.

Good hunting and best wishes!

royboy(pineywoods)

Last edited:
Tell him you will take it with the frame for his parts bike and the matching title for $1000. He can have this frame back after you have swapped out everything. In fact, you should insist on giving back the frame as it might be legal trouble. If the bike had all the work done that it needs with a clear title it's worth maybe $1500. It will cost you at least $500 to redo the engine because there is no point in tearing down an engine with 55,000 miles on it to just replace the timing chain guide. You might as well do a complete top end.

If he doesn't like that offer, call him back in a week and if he still has the bike, offer $900 for the same deal.

Note: If the engine number matches the VIN, then do a check for stolen bikes because the engine number will show up as well if the law does a VIN check. If the engine number does not match the VIN, then do a stolen bike check using the engine number because Yamaha shipped the bikes with matching numbers. It's illegal to steal engines as well as whole bikes. :doh:

Last edited:
His ad reads, "Clear Florida Title in Hand"

This guy is obviously a liar. Think about it. If he truly owns the bike he is selling you then he can get a replacement title by going to the DMV himself, filling out some forms and paying a fee. If you go with him then he can have the new title sent to you. Then you pay the DMV fees and deduct them from what you pay him for the bike.

Explain this to him. If he balks then walk, let someone else play the sucker. The title is the only part you need the State to replace. The title is the most expensive part of the entire motorcycle. Currently, scrap metal yards are paying $0.10- $0.12 cents per pound for junk motorcycles. Without a free and clear title in the seller's name it's really just junk. These bikes weigh about 450 lbs. Price it accordingly.

pass, too much bullshit on the seller's end. xs650's are not rare, be patient and you will find your deal.

Bullshit card! A parts title (for another bike, no less) is not a clear title for a supposedly road worthy bike. The bike he is trying to sell you has NO TITLE! If he does not have that VIN on a title it has NO TITLE! He has a worthless piece of toilet paper in his hand, and it is a diversion from the fact that he has NO TITLE for the bike he is selling.

The top end is "due" at best, and probably overdue, and if it won't start with the electric leg, it probably still has the P.O.S fuse box in it, and I noticed a Pamco ignition, but no mention of a PMA, or other charging system upgrade.

For 1700 bucks you can get an SV650, and be done with it. If vintage is what ya want, keep on looking. People get wind that something is "hot" and they try to unload stuff like this. I'm with Purplzinger. Run Away!

First off, you guys are awesome. Two pages in a few hours? You guys have put it in perspective for me, I am going to pass. My time is worth more than to buy a bike and fuck with the title issues. I really do mean this, thank you!!!!

Stealthtt24, Thought you might pop up over here. If I was closer to Orlando that SR would be mine! Anyway, that's quite a bit of money for a "Special" with 55,000 miles.
I paid $1,200 for mine with less than 6,000 miles. If it was me I'd read alot of threads here and study XS650's a bit. They're great bikes and a bit easier (electric leg) to live with than the SR. However, you've mentioned performance and speed numerous times when commenting on the SR. XS650's are faster than SR's but maybe your a candidate for something more like a Honda CB 750. IMHO you need to slow down a bit and shop around for a bike that will meet your expectations.

Good hunting and best wishes!

royboy(pineywoods)

Thank you for the advice. I really want to test ride an xs650, but I feel that the last xs I rode was just a complete and utter piece of shit. I will shop around for an older 650 or higher in good condition. If all else fails, ill keep my sr, thank you!!!

First off, you guys are awesome. Two pages in a few hours? You guys have put it in perspective for me, I am going to pass. My time is worth more than to buy a bike and fuck with the title issues. I really do mean this, thank you!!!!

We see this every day. A lot of us have been burned. I know I have. Personally, I'm happy to see the prices rise on these bikes as I'm sitting on several waiting on that time but this is not the way I want to see them go up. (Well, that and I've sold all my actual runners except for MY bike.)

Get to know the guys in this forum. Over time you'll figure out who the honest ones are. Several of us buy and sell these bikes. And ride them because we love them. You're in Florida I think. The better deals and lower mileage bikes are usually up north and many of them turn up here. You can check out sellers privately via PM through other forum members. A lot of these guys will give you a lot of what you need if they believe your heart is in the right place. Be patient.

You have made a wise decision. Besides, That 500 you're riding is really cool, wish I had one.

Back