DSCI1528.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 361
  • DSCI1529.jpg
    DSCI1529.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCI1533.jpg
    DSCI1533.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 326
Going by the........... Gas cap and no emblems on the tank and the front 34MM forks with the brake calipers mounted on the rear of the forks.......................76C

Skull, It's the tank I am in the tank I am interested in. It is longer than a stock tank by maybe 3". I don't know if it is a stretched stock tank or maybe off a 850 or something. Whatever it is it is a real good fit for a cafe bike.

Well how about some more pics of the underside, and if you had given all the relevant info you have on it i wouldn't have wasted your time with my answer:D

You didn't waste me time, it is nice to know what the bike is. I don't have any pics of the underside or relevant info on the bike, that is the only pic I have and it is just a bike I saw on the web. I am planning a race bike and just thought the tank and seat looked really good together and I was hoping someone would recognize the tank.

Hi dbc and welcome,
if you'd posted that info in the first place we wouldn't be at post #6, eh?
FWI, the only Yamaha tanks I know of that bolt straight on are the XS650 Standard & Specials.
XS750/850 tanks have a too-wide tunnel and their front attachments reversed.
XS11 Standard & Special tanks have WAY too wide a tunnel and the tank on Mr Yeats XS400 don't look like it's the original.
So sorry, just more negative data, good luck with the search.

IMHO, it is possible that it's an XS750 Special tank, but I don't have one to measure. It would be longer and wider than the XS650 tank and have a narrow tunnel. The XS850 and XS1100 have a double backbone making the tunnel very wide. I'm inclined to believe it may be an XS650 tank that has been stretched, or stretched XS750 tank, or combination of the two. Heck it could even be a narrowed XS11 tank with the cylinder head notches removed. I think it's custom, the more I look at it.

Ok, I'm not to worried about the tunnel, I can modify it to work. I will try to see it I can locate a 750 Special tank somewhere so I can get a length. I have seen where an 850 Special tank holds over 6 gallons and wondered if that was it but there looks to be more than 1 tank style on those bikes and I don't know which one has the large volume. I guess I like because it gives that longer tank look without have to be a tank like on a Norton or something. It maintains that XS650 tank shape and look. If it is a stretch, they did a nice job.

An XS1100 Special tank holds four gallons. I expect an XS850 Special tank holds less, not more. I have an XS750 standard tank. The length is very close to that of the XS650 and the mount points are all in very close to the same place. That's why I believe the C in your picture is wearing a modified stock tank.

Here's a Norton Interstate tank for reference.
full22307363_a.jpg

p1010729.jpg

I see your point. It does look kinda flat across the top along where the gas cap is. Wish I knew who owns it where I could just ask.

I see your point. It does look kinda flat across the top along where the gas cap is. Wish I knew who owns it where I could just ask.
It looks to me like an xs650B tank circa 1976 that has been left complete with the rear of another xs650b tank grafted over the end to extend.. The reason I'm guessing this is that the petrol tap is the perfect distance from the front of the tank and if you look closely to the right of the tap there appears to be another flat area where the doner tank would have had its tap thats been blanked off... Thats my theory anyway,love the look of the tank...

All Special tanks, 650/750/850/1100 have the gas cap to one side.

I am inclined to agree on a stretched XS650 Tank. Looking at the differences between the 74/75, 76/77, 78/79 Standard tanks, (mine), there are marked differences where the petcock mounts.

Looking at the lines of the tank they don't quite run smooth and there apears to be a slight hump on the slope.

I think it is a 76C tank stretched and the petcocks moved forward to there normal position in relation to the frame/carbs.

Looks cool. With that streach it could carry and extra 3 liters or maybe more.

Know of a guy who has an XS750 Standard tank on his XS650, but the unusual thing is he changed the XS750 tunnel to the XS650 tunnel and it changed the fuel capacity from 17 1/2 liters to 21 liters.

Have an 850 Standard tank and they are 24 liters, wounder what it would carry changing that tank to an XS650 tunnel

Measuring and comparing, where the Standard Tank normally resides in relation to the side-panel, and the stretched one in the pic, i reckon it is at least a 100mm or 4" stretch.

That would almost hold an extra gallon US

Thanks for the input guys. I will look at building a stretched tank from a couple of 76c tanks. If anyone runs up on any more info on this bike please post it.

I went back to the page where I found this pic and it looks like a man named Peter Jansen built the bike if anyone is familiar with how he is.

Back