Does size matter? Petcocks

peetacheeta

XS650 Member
Reaction score
The bike is an xs500 and ive bought an old fiberglass tank which had a 24mm petcock in it haha.
I removed it and did some glassing to make it fit the frame and i have to run a new petcock set up.
What is best, a 3/8 or 22mm petcock?
I will be running one and t-ing it off to each carb. I am confident that they will both supply enough fuel but can it end up being too much?
not a big guru on flow rates and carbs etc.

thanks

I would put my money on size doesnt matter. I am no expert, but I would say as long as you can keep your carb bowls filled with enough gas, you should be okay. And i wouldnt think that a 500cc engine would be thirsty enough that 24mm wouldn't work. Weather a 3/8th is better, I cannot say. That's just my logic, someone else may have the actual truth.

The 3/8" is only half (10MM) the diameter. If it is already set for the 24, I would go ahead with it. As long as the floats are right, the carb won't take "too much" fuel. Save yourself the potential of a having to go back in if the 3/8 does not work out, which it should, but if the 22 MM ain't broke.....

Size matters with any kind of cock be it petco!cks or peacocks!lol

Posted via Mobile

ok, so to clear things up. the tank had a 24mm bung in it (not a petcock, sorry my typo). I Cannot find any 24mm petcocks out there. I am replacing it with a 22mm or 3/8 npt.
just wondering if one is a better choice than the other.

thanks

OK. Misunderstood. The 3/8 will probably open you up to the Pingel line of products. Double check that, but they are generally for the racing and HD market, and you may find some interesting plumbing options.

Seal that old Fiberglass tank with a good epoxy or you'll be flowing goo into the carbs with todays fuels.
-=PO

Did not know that, thanks for the info. The tank is from the late 60's early 70's.

last call! i;m think i;m going with the 22mm.

Back