Does this sound normal?

mrkelvinator

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Does this sound normal? FIXED

So that's the noise; I've adjusted the cam chain, valves and ignition timing in that order. Haven't got to the cleaning the carbs yet. It has contact points as well.

What do you guys think?

No it doesn't. Originally I adjusted the cam chain whilst the bike was idling. This time I adjusted it when it was off, using the kick starter. I found that it was popping out further using the latter method before i adjusted it. Again, is that normal?

that noise sounds like the cam chain slaping around. when i 1st got my bike it was makeing a noise like that, with the cover nut off, the pin would pop out 1/4 to 1/2 inch. i was not sure if it was cam chain or crankshaft. i ended up useing another bottom end and new cam chain and guides just rebuild the topend from the crank up.
you know it could be a piston slapping aroung in the jug

Did you mis-adjust the valves by accident?

Adjusting on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression will cause it to clang like that.

What did you set your intake valves to? '78 and maybe '79 spec .004" for them but if you use that, many times they'll make too much noise. Use .003" instead.

M, Yes, you engine sounds exactly like mine did. Pull the adjuster out check where the spring meets the adjuster, MY PO must have messed with it & forgot to reinstall the washer. Some are copper, Mikes XS are rubber coated.

5twins: I've adjusted them according to the manual i have which is 0.10mm (0.0039in) for intake and 0.15mm (0.0059in) exhaust. I will try 0.003in and see what happens. (Aussie boy here using millimeters :p)

bowhoc: thanks for the tip, i'll have a look as soon as I can.

Rogue: thanks for the link, I'll definitely have a look.

Thanks for your help guys it's much appreciated!! I'll let you know how it goes.

its not hard. good thread to use. when i did to job i put new chain, guide rings, tentioner. i figured i should replace sense i was goin in anyway ended up costing about $300for gasket set and parts

Last edited:
Re-set those intake valves first. The change in sound may surprise you. Also, play with the cam chain adjustment while the bike is idling. A loose cam chain can make a heck of a racket as well.

Hey guys! Great news, the noise has been fixed.

So first i tried adjusting the intake valve clearance to 0.003in as suggested by 5twins. But after doing so the engine had trouble starting and even popped one of the carbs off. So i adjusted it back to 0.0039in and the engine started as usual again.

So next I removed the cam chain adjuster and it was missing a washer for the spring as bowhoc predicted. So I simply put a washer in place and VOILA! The sound has been dramatically reduced.

Here's a vid of the cam adjuster rod's movement and what the engine now sounds like.

Thanks for all you're help guys!! Now I can get back on the road with peace of mind :bike:

still souds like your valve lash is loose i woud play with that a bit idk what your year calls for but on my 81 i run .003 on my intake and .006 on my exhaust which is rattly on that

btw...what carbs are you running?

That noise they you can here is actually the contact points, I had the cover off in that video. You're right though, there is a bit of noise and I will continue to make adjustments. Compared to how it sounded before though, it's a BIG improvement.

I've got VM36's on there.

Did you install a copper washer or a steel one? Originals are copper or a rubber/metal combo. It's a "damper" washer so for best sound deadening, it needs to be soft.

Back