Dont know what else to do...

CaseySmithersxs

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
77 xs pods and open exhaust. Finally got my bike started, carbs are super clean, I have a spark on both plugs, points gap both at 15, new advance springs(snap test works well). Take a while to start, once it starts it idles okay, but sounds wierd. Every once and a while it will Kinda pick up and idle normal for a quick second. But as SOON as I give it the slightest amount of gas it blow the carbs out the boot with a big puff of white smoke. I'm not sure what else to do...

Well, its either pods or nothing. lol Frames cut and I dont have the stock boxes. Ive been riding the bike for a few months. Then all of a sudden its doing this. 2 up on pilot and mains a 135.

check the coils I had the same problem blowing the carbs off and running like crap
checked every thing I could think of checked the coils and one was bad so I had the parts here and changed it over to tci ( 81 elc.ignition) started 2nd kick and ran great
mite be some thing to look at

You say that the point gap is ok, but what about the timing?

As the points wear you'll need to re-gap them. When you re-gap them the timing changes.

I bet your timing is off.

Trying to get my hands on one lol. But my buddy and I did set the timing with a timing light a few weeks ago and it was SPOT ON! Now this all of a sudden. I'm setting valves right now, just finished setting cam chain.

blowing back through carb can indicate a super lean mix [clogged jet or massive vacuum leak] also could indicate a need for a larger pilot jet [not air pilot]

Last edited:
compression test should be done on a warm engine: with the plugs removed...ground both plug wires and screw in the compression tester hose...with the throttle held wide open crank the engine with the starter until the gauge needle stops moving [should read over 120 psi minimum]

Back