Don't Talk Shit, or, Karma's a Bitch

Ashaman

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cross posted from Facebook, hence the local details.

I was out riding the ol' motorbike yesterday and was on Parker Road about to turn into the Stroh Ranch King Soopers to get some gas. I was keeping the revs up while waiting at the light, because the bike has been dying at lights occasionally, but when the light went green it died anyway. I was the lead vehicle so I walked the bike over to the median and let everyone behind me go by. One of the vehicles that went through the light was a Harley Davidson Sportster, looked pretty stock but for ape hangers; didn't think anything of it. Got the bike started again and back into the turn lane, and this time all went well and I got into the gas station at Kings. Lo and behold, the fellow on the Harley was at the pump across the way from mine, and he walked up as soon as I pulled in. Pretty standard issue Harley rider - Harley t-shirt, do-rag, sunglasses, black jeans, no gear to speak of.

Him: "Run out of gas back there?"
Me: "No, I've just been fighting this thing for a little while; it has a tendency to die sometimes at lights and it just did it again, I guess."
Him: Yeah, these *bends over to look at Yamaha badge under headlight* Yamahas are known for that; both carbs need to be tuned just perfectly or it'll die just like that."
Me (having just figured out that this guy is a tad ignorant): "Yeah, I guess; like any carbs, they need to be tuned right for sure. I'm sure I'll get it dialed in eventually".
Him (leaning in conspiratorially): "Should've bought American".

He winks and walks back to his bike.

Me (still in a friendly tone, half in jest): "Man, half that bike wasn't even made in America!"

He ignored me and kept walking, so I shrugged it off and went about fueling my bike. He finished up, fired up his ride and powerwalked it slowly out from under the gas station canopy, then a car pulled in and blocked my view. I didn't hear him take off, but was still doing my thing and thought nothing of it. When I finished fueling and geared up, there was a car in front of me and a car at the Harley guy's old pump, so I went between them to get out. Not 20 feet from where he had refueled, our friend had his bike shut down and parked on the sidestand, and was talking on the phone while walking around the bike. I do believe he had just sustained a mechanical failure of some type, as he blatantly turned his back when I rode slowly by. I have to admit that I did rev my motor at him as I passed, just once, just enough to say, "Should've bought Japanese". ;)

Lesson learned? Don't be a shit talker, especially out of the blue, and especially when your machine is potentially seconds away from being just as much of a pile as the next guy's.

I dang near made a co-worker cry when I pointed out his Kehin carb and Showa forks and rear suspenders. I guess that's what happens when you swallow the whole lure! It's a bitch to get out.
I told him it would cost him another 20 grand to get rid of all the foreign-sourced parts on his bike, and his Suburban was not much different.
Made him check the VIN for a 1 or a 3 when I told him 1/3 of the suburbans in Texas were built in Mexico, and the rest had about 15% Mexican content!
It's a global economy folks! Get used to it. The most American thing about your HD is the name, and the marketing campaign!

I aint got nuttin against wearin Harley t-shirt, do-rag, sunglasses, black jeans, no gear to speak of, or Harley's for that matter. Sounds like he was trying your chin. No matter what you ride be confident. When I ride my Harley, the Sport bikes dont shoot me the Deuce, when i ride my Sportbikes, the Harley's dont shoot me the Deuce and when i ride my Honda nobody shoots me the Deuce. LMAO who f'in cares. Ya shoulda told him go f himself from the door. You can pretty much tell a jerk by the first thing that comes out of his mouth. By the way I got my harley t shirt on and im riding my wifes 450 Rebel.

Last edited:
I aint got nuttin against wearin Harley t-shirt, do-rag, sunglasses, black jeans, no gear to speak of, or Harley's for that matter. Sounds like he was trying your chin. No matter what you ride be confident. When I ride my Harley, the Sport bikes dont shoot me the Deuce, when i ride my Sportbikes, the Harley's dont shoot me the Deuce and when i ride my Honda nobody shoots me the Deuce. LMAO who f'in cares. Ya shoulda told him go f himself from the door. You can pretty much tell a jerk by the first thing that comes out of his mouth. By the way I got my harley t shirt on and im riding my wifes 450 Rebel.

I don't either, for the record. Harleys and their pre-packaged "lifestyle" don't appeal to me, but different strokes for different folks. I personally think it's dumb to not even wear a helmet, and more than a little goofy to play dress up like the rest of the Harley lemmings, so I'll admit that I definitely judged him on both counts even before he opened his mouth and confirmed that he was ig'n'ant. To each their own though, and I'll be the first to admit that dumbasses ride and drive all makes. Ride your own ride, I say, which is what I was trying to do when I got preached at. ;)

I don't either, for the record. Harleys and their pre-packaged "lifestyle" don't appeal to me, but different strokes for different folks. I personally think it's dumb to not even wear a helmet, and more than a little goofy to play dress up like the rest of the Harley lemmings, so I'll admit that I definitely judged him on both counts even before he opened his mouth and confirmed that he was ig'n'ant. To each their own though, and I'll be the first to admit that dumbasses ride and drive all makes. Ride your own ride, I say, which is what I was trying to do when I got preached at. ;)

Since you quoted my post I guess I have to respond::wtf::banghead:

Sounds to me like somebody wishes the owned a Harley LMAO

Its funny how you criticize People for what they wear and call Harley riders names and admit you judge, yet in the second half of your quote, you state to each their own and ride your own. Sounds like your very confused and have serious image problems. This is my last post on this and the only reason I responded to this childishness is because you quoted me.

For one thing, 95% of the Harley riders now a days that have "the" attitude started out riding on something from the orient. Plain and simple.

My opinion of the whole "shooting the deuce" thing, I think it's an embarrassing ritual and I don't do it. If I know you, I'll wave...

And for the record my Sportster has Nissan brakes...

Since you quoted my post I guess I have to respond::wtf::banghead:

Sounds to me like somebody wishes the owned a Harley LMAO

Its funny how you criticize People for what they wear and call Harley riders names and admit you judge, yet in the second half of your quote, you state to each their own and ride your own. Sounds like your very confused and have serious image problems. This is my last post on this and the only reason I responded to this childishness is because you quoted me.

You're reading waaaay too much into this. :thumbsup:

Yep, you're right, I have major image problems and wish I owned a Hardly. That's me, you nailed it. :laugh:

Only reason I quoted you is because your post had some content that I found intriguing. This is how forums work; you'll get used to it.

Back