Door on fake oil tank?

tmb99

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did a quick search and didn't find anything... in the process of a build. When purchased the bike had one of the fake oil tanks on it. Its welded shut and serves no purpose but to fill empty space.

I want to open it up and make a door to store tools or whatever in there. Easy option would be small door on the side or end cap. However I want to hinge the whole end cap/plate so it looks a little nicer and can slide more in.

Anyone got a solution? As hinges only really work on flat surfaces?

Couple thoughts
• You could use a small single hinge on one side.
• You could put tabs 180 degrees from each other and use wing nuts to hold it on.
• What about threading the cap so it screws on or open it up and put a piece of ABS pipe inside with a screw on lid and attach the metal to it?

You can cut it away and make a nice clean cap for it, and use 4 cabinetry magnets to hold the lid on. Take some work, but would be pretty trick.

Have some pictures?

IDK what shape the tank is....but, you could always do like I did and just cut in half, weld in some nutted tabs and bolt the pieces together:
(the 1st pic below is before I drilled and welded nuts on the tabs)

tQ2Nnl.jpg

REHO8l.jpg

Thanks for the replies so far. Pics make everything more interesting!
About the only pic I have - tank can be seen under the seat

IMG_6724.jpg

Wingnuts are a good idea but I was hoping to add a flush mount lock.
Small tab one side for the hinge to mount to then tab otherside for the cam lock... think I just answered my question while writing this!

I'd cut the end off like a cap, about a inch or so back, rolll a flat ring to act as a holder and weld it to the new "cap" that will slide into the tank deep enough to make sure it doesnt fall off.

that dosnt open? what was the point of putting it there? I know you didnt do it.
yeah pretty much my thoughts. He had it there just to fill the space.

As the brackets for mounting to the frame are right beside the edge it limited the options for cutting it open. So I spent some quality time with a hacksaw and cut around the edge

Going to weld some tabs inside, one to mount the door off and one as the locking tab. Picked up a small but strong hinge and a Cam lock on the weekend.

94fac659e8932d019e9ec77defd0145f.jpg

This way it will be lockable yet still uncluttered

Last edited:
What about removing it and mounting it vertically? Ive never been too keen on TC's (assumed) fake oil bag. But i think mounted vertically it may be more asthetically appealing. Then you could cut a door, mount a hinge and I think it would be more easily accessable. Maybe something like this?

Untitled.png

Thats right, be jealous of my "Paint" skillzzzzz! :D

Last edited:
Sidenote... MAN!, your bike looks killer! Im going just about the same route with mine, although Im runnin a 21" dirtbike tire up front and a set of lane-splitter "T-bars". Keep the updates coming!

Back