Double walled headers cracked.

lassenc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Today while trying to sync. the carbs, I was trying to get an even exhaust note, but couldn't. Turns out the innerpipe had cracked at the collar and some bogde job on the collar had been made. In other words, I am going to need new headers.

Will the more "rounder" headers (As seen on specials) fit my "C" exhaust system?

I think the special headers are a different length (shorter) to the muffler attach point as well as being more "rounded". I am going mainly by MikesXS mentioning that on the pipes he sells

I almost asked on you other thread, the LH header looks like it has an odd "bend" in it in one of the photos.

It does? Hmm, it lines up with the mounting holes in the frame alright, well after I removed the double gasket PO had put in there.

But yeah, the specials have more curvy headers, which I like.

The specials are a welded one piece set up as far as the headers and mufflers go. I've a set that the mufflers have been removed at the weld . PamcoPete has a contribution somewhere in here about cutting the mufflers off right before the weld and using a reducer to adapt aftermarket mufflers. Either way it will shorten the overall length of the system.
@G....there is a little bend in the headers, right under the alt cover area. I have that on my aftermarket set....I think it's for keeping symmetry of the headers, looking straight on from the front as they come out of the engine. Check out some stock special headers, you might see that the left side goes a little further out- just a tadd.

Just checked some measurements and if you get a set of the specials, if you remove the muffler and keep the double wall connection intact....
1 5/8 inches od on the joint or same for the mufflers id...
Muffler will attach roughly 1/4 inch past the header mount on the frame- to give you an idea of the overall length..
There's 2 holes in the double wall coupler that may have to be filled to keep the exhaust from leaking out around the muffler/header connection.
Disclaimer- all measurements are shade tree, dirt floor, taken with a wooden fold ruler.

Back