Drainage problems

dwaynemcfarlane

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So finally i found the drainage. It seems its the regulator. Its connected directly to the battery thru a fusebox. So now im thinking about these setups to avoid drainage. Pls help :)

The red dotted line is the drainage...
Should i :
The orange line is connecting to the wires using on off key funtion.
or
The Green line is to find a seperate on/off setup in the key function.
or what would you do?

Rebuild from wreck. 1977 XS650D

Attachments

• 5F954D81-4243-433D-8208-80F208C767F5.jpeg
    5F954D81-4243-433D-8208-80F208C767F5.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 117
It seems its the regulator. Its connected directly to the battery thru a fusebox.

That's how the rectifier's supposed to be wired. There will be no current flow back to the rectifier to drain the battery. It's just the way it's designed. If your rectifier is draining the battery, it's bad and needs replacing.
The power feed to the regulator however, does need to be switched. Can you clarify for us... is it the regulator or rectifier that's direct to the battery.

Well my friend bought the Vape alternator and regulator/rectifier and installed it for me a couple of years ago. Ive been driving with an unidentified drainage problem ever since. The setup he made was a wire from the regulator/rectifier to fuse to battery. Yesterday i checked the setup and discovered amps escaping the battery. When i removed the regulator/rectifier fuse the drainage stopped. :unsure::(

Well my friend bought the Vape alternator and regulator/rectifier and installed it for me a couple of years ago. Ive been driving with an unidentified drainage problem ever since. The setup he made was a wire from the regulator/rectifier to fuse to battery. Yesterday i checked the setup and discovered amps escaping the battery. When i removed the regulator/rectifier fuse the drainage stopped. :unsure::(
I'm not familiar with the Vape system. Can you give us a pic of the wires out of the reg/rec?

Well I'm no help. Was expecting to see 3 white or yellow wires along with various reds/black/green. Not sure what I'm looking at. Maybe someone familiar with the Vape will chime in. Sorry.

Well I'm no help. Was expecting to see 3 white or yellow wires along with various reds/black/green. Not sure what I'm looking at. Maybe someone familiar with the Vape will chime in. Sorry.
No problem! :)
I think ill have to rewire it. Well im learning so much atm so why not learn a bit more :)
Btw. Do you have any method finding out if reg/rec is broken?
Have a nice day

No problem! :)
I think ill have to rewire it. Well im learning so much atm so why not learn a bit more :)
Btw. Do you have any method finding out if reg/rec is broken?
Have a nice day
The regulator's easiest check is to run the bike and look for about 12-13v at idle and an increase to 13.5 - 14.5v at about 2500-3000rpm.
Here's a video on checking the stock rectifier. They all work on the same principle so you should be able to transpose that to yours.

The VAPE is a PMA with a solid state R&R. They come both as a pure PMA, or with integrated magneto CDI ignition (so ignition is not powered by the battery on those systems)
VAPE is high quality, made in Czech republic. Not in China, as many other offerings....
I have VAPE system on my RD350, best upgrade I ever did to any bike.
Now, if the reg/ rect is correctly connected, and drains the battery, it must be defective.
Double check the wiring, and if wired correctly, a new unit is required.
As you are located in Denmark, just order a new from the Vape webshop. Or from Heiden in Holland,

Back