Dry Sump ?

jrt750

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all I'm new here . My name is John from the GTA in Ontario Canada .
I want to tilt the engine in the project I'm planning , so the oil level is going to rest much more in the front under the crank . Ive searched around on the web but can't seem to find any thing .I haven't found anything here either, but the knowledge the members here have I'm sure someone will have some ideas on how to do this . I'm not new to bikes but to the XS650 I am.

regards John

84 CB750SC
71 CB350RR
2012 XS650 ECLECTIC CAFE RACER

Why tilt the engine forward and keep the tranny out of oil? Why drysump the engine?

Thanks for the reply's guy's. I want to tilt the engine for the look and to push it forward a bit . I'm planning a very radical kind of bike . It will have some sort of trellis frame, Hossack front end and a single sided swing with spoke wheels . Also working on a design to have a very small rear almost hidden drum brake so I don't have to off set the rear wheel spokes as I would have to If I were to use a disc .

And the transmission .... I'll figure something out as far as lubricating all parts of the engine . I may not tilt it but that's the plan and I'm hoping collectively ideas will come forward.

regards John

I have read somewhere you can tilt the engine 15 degrees forward. As far as the tranny it gets oiled under pressure just like the rest of the engine.

Back