Dual Brakes

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I have a dual brake set up on my XS. It as the brake line caliper / splitter set up monted on the front of the forks. However! ..... I'd like to use that mounting point (where the brake manifold is) for mounting my bates style headlight (lower mounted).

Anyone else done it with a dual set up? Can the calliper be replaced for some sort of dual line splitter system or something? What options do I Have.

That mounting point is the perfect place for the headlight mount but not with the calliper in the way.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts / solutions.

Cheers
adi

ps. I've attached a photo showing how I'd like to mount it as per Wrenchmonkees example

Attachments

• DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 101
You could have a single stainless line down to the right caliper attaching to a dual banjo bolt and then another line up and over the mudguard to the left caliper. You would attach the line to the mudguard with some clips.

You can also use two separate long lines directly from the MC. I think the simplest and cheapest solution, however, would be to fab up a flat plate bracket that could mount along with the headlight to the original location and move the junction block off to the left or right.

thanks guys a few good options there. Anyone done this? I'd love to see some photos if so. Keep the ideas coming if there are anymore out there.

If I was to run separate long lines from the MC would I need to use a double banjo bolt or something at the MC? How would I split it 2 ways basically?

I agree that keeping the junction block (manifoild) in roughly the same place and using a bracket to mount both it and the headlight could be a good option. Not sure how messy / clumsy it might look though. Any examples?

thanks guys a few good options there. Anyone done this? I'd love to see some photos if so. Keep the ideas coming if there are anymore out there.

If I was to run separate long lines from the MC would I need to use a double banjo bolt or something at the MC? How would I split it 2 ways basically?

I agree that keeping the junction block (manifoild) in roughly the same place and using a bracket to mount both it and the headlight could be a good option. Not sure how messy / clumsy it might look though. Any examples?

You would use a double banjo bolt at the master cylinder. I didthis on a Fazer and worked well. My GSXR had the doublebanjo bolt on one caliper with a line across the mudguard. Whatever solution there will be no difference in performance, just how you want to mount the lines

I just found this pic, also on wrenchmonkees. They seem to be going down the route of a single line from the MC to the caliper then a banjo bolt with a 2nd line up and over the wheel, clipped to the first line. I like this idea as it'll mean I can run it without a front fender too. Obviously these are uprated calipers and lines but could I do a similar set up with the standard XS calipers? What lines will fit it? Never done anything with brake lines so excuse my ignorance. Cheers

Attachments

• YS2B0303 copy.jpg
    YS2B0303 copy.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 148
I copied this from another post I made several weeks ago. Read it a few times...
---------------------------------------------------------------

I am running a dual brake disc up front, but I also used that same spot to install my headlight.

I made a triangular shaped bracket with 2 holes @ the bottom & 1 larger up top for the headlight bolt.

I took a nut, threaded it about halfway down a 2.5" long stud & welded it to the stud right in the middle of the threads. It looks like a bolt where the head of the bolt is in the center instead of the top.

I installed my headlight bracket against the tree using a regular short bolt on 1 side & my modified stud on the other. Tightened the bracket to the tree using the short bolt & my modified stud.. Then, I slipped the brake manifold over the now exposed stud & capped that off with an acorn nut. I recall grinding a small nub OFF the manifold so it would sit flush..

Its been on my bike for over a year & several hundred miles.. All is well.

I drew you a crappy exploded diagram in MS paint!! AWESOME !!

The large hole @ the top of the bracket is for the headlight bolt.

brakeManifold.jpg

Back