Dyna ignition booster.

Do yourself a favor and just go to a junk yard and get a genuine Ford module with the heat sink and pigtail. You don't say where you are, but at the Pick-N-Pulls around here that will cost $30. Money well spent.

Good advice. There are no junk yards around here, though. Ebay is really my only source for used parts. And I'm reluctant to buy used electronic parts on ebay, since I can't inspect and test them first (of course, I don't mind gambling a couple of dollars on an old part, but I don't like spending $30 for a decades-old used electrical part that could easily be broken or worn out.

This is just for fun, so why not aim high? I want to see if I can make an ignition booster out of new parts, for about $20 or $25. The way I figure it, if I had to spend more than $25 on parts for this experimental homemade booster, I would be better off buying a new Dyna Ignition Booster for $68!

So, here's my plan. I just bought a new Ford module on ebay ($3, plus $3 shipping, made in USA by Borg Warner, part number CBE20). It's the same as the one I posted about in post #20 above, but a little cheaper). When it arrives, I will see if it works.

I just received the Ford module I bought, as I said in post #20. Now that I can see it up close, I think I can tell that it is probably not the right kind of module: it has only three pins on the end, instead of six. Oh, well, at least I can now tell everyone here NOT to buy a Borg Warner CBE20 module!

Anyway, I just ordered another module, a Borg Warner CBE33. I confirmed that it has six pins, and that it is made to be a direct replacement for the OEM Motorcraft DY-533. The Borg Warner was only $10 (compared to $50 for a NOS Motorcraft DY-533). I'll post again once I get the module, and let you know if it works. There may be a reason why it's so much cheaper than the OEM (Motorcraft) module!

Back