Early Cam Chain Guide

NP2650

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I searched some threads on cam chain guides and found some information suggesting that guides for "early" (70 to 73?) bikes are different, possibly due to clearance issues. Online parts sellers like Partzilla, CMSL, and Mike's indicate one guide for all years (not that I trust these sources 100%). However, the parts list I downloaded off biker.net indicates a different guide for just the XS1. Curious what is correct, and if there is a difference, what is the difference?

Curious what is correct, and if there is a difference, what is the difference?
The early XS1 guide was flat... no curve in it. As far as compatibility between the two styles, I don't really know.
Iirc, @Mailman either has or did have an early flat guide in his hands. Maybe he knows the answer?

That's the tensioner Bob. Thought it was you that had an old style guide. Maybe just my faulty memory... :doh:

The early XS1 guide was flat... no curve in it. As far as compatibility between the two styles, I don't really know.
Iirc, @Mailman either has or did have an early flat guide in his hands. Maybe he knows the answer?

Parts manuals seem to list the same part number.

Might lead towards thinking they are interchangeable???

This part manual lists 256-12231-00-00 for the XS1, and 256-12231-01-00 for the XS1b, XS2, and TX650. 256-12231-01-00 is also the number for all later models. The "01" digits indicate a modification of the original part, which suggests some change was made. It's possible the change was small enough to allow the modified part to fit all years including the XS1(?)
20240128_143613.jpg

Interesting…

We’ve seen a lot of xs2 and tx here, no real mentions of the guide being different.

Would lead to believe they interchange?

I was scoping csml when looking at numbers. They are usually pretty good at referencing superseding parts but seems not in this case.

Back